Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

starter lag

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2007, 2:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter lag

ZX or the other experts
It seems like the starter on my 07 tahoe lags....meaning it appears there is a lag from when i turn the key in the ignition cylinder and the starter engages...the lag does not always happen. I have noticed it before but felt it was probably just a fluke.... yesterday i had a passenger in the car make the comment about the lag time.. (person did not know i have noticed it before - so it seems my intuitions were confirmed by his comment)... I have had all the recalls (or updates) including the flex fuel update. If you could dispense some wisdom i sure would appreciate it. I think there has been a post about this in the forum

thanks
dennis
Old August 16th, 2007, 2:40 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: starter lag

Dennis, If you are talking about a short (>2 second) delay then that is normal, when the key is turned to “Start” the onboard computers check for many different things (the planets all have to align so to speak) before the start sequence will commence as opposed to the old hard wired ignition systems.

Now if a several second delay is experienced it may be caused by an aftermarket accessory that was installed and wired into the vehicles ignition circuit.
Old August 16th, 2007, 3:11 PM
davemec

Big D, does yours take awhile to actually start cranking, or does it crank for a long time? Mine cranks for a long time and sometimes doesn't start, but I haven't gotten to the dealer yet to have them look at it.

Old August 16th, 2007, 4:01 PM
CF Junior Member

thanks Z.... you pretty much described it..... i will just keep an ear on it...... (just drove by the Arlington Assembly plant - where my tahoe was birthed).

I have also had the same thing Davemec described where she did not start on the first turn of the key.. and i had to go back and turn the key again...
thanks
Old August 16th, 2007, 4:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Davemec
i have had that happen before... (probably not the long time to start) it just simply did not start..... maybe zx will recommend to wait a split second from when you first turn the key to the run position and engaging the starter.... I know this is not related, but on my fuel injected Harley you have to wait a couple of seconds for the fuel lines to pressure up.

thanks for your reply
Old August 16th, 2007, 5:57 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis,
Usually when you have a crank but no light-off condition it is due to the fuel rail not getting up to sufficient pressure before the crank cycle times out (the exact same reason that Harley Davidson recommends you wait).

GM doesn't officially recommend that you turn the key on and then wait a second before you hit start (for convenience sake) but if you have the discipline it isn't a bad idea.
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Davemec
took the tahoe in to the dealer, just to double check the starter issue.... service advisor was familiar with the issue, says he has seen it before....tells me its normal because of the electronic starter function feature (as ZX described it)... this a.m., again on ZX's recommendation, started the tahoe "Harley" style. Inserted key, turn to run, waited a second, then engaged the starter.... it started perfect. Nevertheless, and since I have another vehicle to drive, I went ahead and took it in so they can check the problem (just to document it)....will keep you posted. If they do any sort of repairs or adjustment, Iwill scan and send you the work sheet, so you can follow up on your end.
thanks
dennis
Old August 18th, 2007, 8:50 AM
davemec

Thanks for the update Big D. I took mine in yesterday and they are ordering a new fuel pump for it. I will keep you posted when it gets installed to let you know if the issue is fixed.