Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

STARTING ISSUES PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2007, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STARTING ISSUES PLEASE HELP!!!!

I OWN A 1999 SUBURBAN. IT HAS NO ENGINE UPGRADES SAVE FOR A NEW AIR INTAKE AND EXHAUST SYSTEM. ITS GOT ABOUT 106,860 MILES ON IT. IM HAVING ISSUES WITH THE STARTER. I TURN THE KEY BUT THE ENGINE DOSENT EVEN TURN OVER. BUT IF I LEAVE IT UNTIL TOMORROW IT STARTS RIGHT UP. IM NOT SURE IF ITS THE FUEL PUMP OR OR THE IGNITION SYSTEM. PLEASE HELP, I NEED TO GET THIS FIXED ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 16th, 2007, 9:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: STARTING ISSUES PLEASE HELP!!!!

Have you checked your battery connection? Check both your positive and negative batterycables on both ends to make sure they are clean and tight. Make doubly sure on the positive connection at the battery. If your connections are good, then look at the starter itself.

No reason to suspect the fuel pump. If the engine cranks but doesn't start, then you might suspect your fuel delivery system, but not if it won't crank.
Old July 17th, 2007, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

RonH has a good call on the battery connection, I'm thinking electrical as well. Intermittent electrical problems are problematic to these Suburbans. I always take a look at the easy things first; connections, fuses, relay's, and then components. Your local auto part store can usually test your starter, if your able to bring it in.

By chance any security lights or service engine?

Old July 19th, 2007, 12:00 AM
CF Beginner

My 97 has similar issues. The gauge lights up and i turn the key and absolutly NOTHING... turn it off then try again and it fires up. I replaced the battery connections and it has seemed to help a bit BUT i will have this problem still on occasion. Next im just going to replace the entire cable.
Old September 19th, 2007, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

check the starter solenoid for power and continuity
Old December 28th, 2007, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

next time it won't start. Try using the remote entry to unlock the doors and see if starts.
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Does it by chance have the dealer-installed Silencer alarm system? It was a dealer option designed to be armed by the stock keyless entry fobs. Mine started going off in the middle of the night for no reason (I stayed up to watch it) so I tried to disable the system and wound up triggering the starter disable circuit. It did the same thing as you stated, turn the key and nothing at all. Do you have a dash lgiht that says SECURITY when you turn on the ignition? Mine has BOTH the stock antitheft and the aftermarket alarm.

I made a call to the company that makes the system and they talked me thru disabling the system and troubleshooting the funtions of the unit. Mine has bad sensors, so I just disabled it for now. (My truck did not come from the used dealer with the key fobs, so I have to replace them first.)