Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Steering issue...97 4wd

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2008, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issue...97 4wd

My steering in my97 Tahoe will often feel looser at times. Usually noticed in turns on the off ramp. Theresistanceof the steering wheel will lessen, resulting in a very loose steering. All front end parts are good or new.
I have been told of a steering assist switch installed first on 97's that may be the cause. Are there any others that experienced this and did replacement (or disconnect / removal)of the switch solve the problem?
Simply suggesting I replace the switch is easy advice, and for $38.00 I could solve that issue, but I am looking for more info on the problem. Was this installed on other Chevy trucks, was there a recall of any sort in the past, and how exactly does the switch assist in the steering.
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:59 PM
THJ
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering issue...97 4wd

Too bad you haven't gotten any replies so far. I have a 97 Yukon with the opposite problem: stiff steering - it sometimes delays too, like when I'm trying to gradually change lane on the highway....it keeps going in the same direction & then suddenly veers a bit over as if it's catching up. Our mechanic looked into it but couldn't find anything wrong.
Old August 30th, 2008, 9:06 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

there is a sensor that adjust for speed sensitivity, it probably going out. I had my replaced on my 97 and it resolved the issue.
Mine would sometimes be really easy to turn kinda freaks you out, I had mine replaced while having other services done so I don't have a lot of details, let me see what I can find in the manual aobut it. it was like $80 buck to have replaced.
Old August 30th, 2008, 9:27 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

ORIGINAL: in2pro

there is a sensor that adjust for speed sensitivity, it probably going out. I had my replaced on my 97 and it resolved the issue.
Mine would sometimes be really easy to turn kinda freaks you out, I had mine replaced while having other services done so I don't have a lot of details, let me see what I can find in the manual aobut it. it was like $80 buck to have replaced.

It may have been the steering wheel position sensor... I'll check to see if I still have my maint records stuffed away somewhere...

Well, I couldn't find the old paper work but I also had my motor mounts replaced at that time... but its probably the sensor as you stated, it is to assist with power steering at different speeds. Mine never set any codes but the service manual references several that could. I'd give more detalis but the information covers about a 1/4 inch thick section of the manual.