Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

stuck in a hard spot

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2013, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stuck in a hard spot

hey guys im in need of a transmission rebuild and am having a hard time on deciding what to do....I like to do stuff on my own but know that this is past my knowledge level, but on the other hand not sure if i feel comfortable letting a shop do the rebuild either..I live in a smaller town so their is only about 3 options and I'm afraid they wont do a full quality rebuild or something so then I think well maybe i could order a transmission online from a website that shows everything they use for the rebuild and have a mechanic here install the transmission and i get close to pulling the trigger on that but then im like if something happens to it the mechanic shop will blame the rebuilder and the rebuilder will say the mechanic shop installed it improperly....anyone else been stuck on this kind of decision and how did you figure out what to do....either way im looking at around 1500 for a good stock rebuild.
Old July 19th, 2013, 7:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ordered from Bowtie Overdrives, online. The trans was everything they advertised, and probably much better than stock. They provided excellent tech support too. There is nothing magic about an auto trans, as long as you buy from a reliable builder they are pretty much plug and play. The job can be done at home if you are reasonably handy. One thing if you have never pulled a trans before, they are heavy... Two guys and some ratchet straps can get it done, but I'm getting a trans jack from Harbor Freight if I ever do it again.......

Last edited by RichC10; July 19th, 2013 at 7:27 PM.
Old July 20th, 2013, 7:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered a salvage yard pulled trans?
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:05 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just checked that website-seems promising and the prices are good. ususally a rebuild on a 4x4 is around 2500 atleast around me. my dad used to always rebuild his 88 caprice wagon for around 1250-1500 years ago. man, he wouldn't junk that thing! lol until the clunker program! i would probably go with bowtie overdrive or something similar
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Its been my exp that you can save some money if you buy the remanufactured and install it yourself... you may even save a bit over the rebuild to have the reman installed if you opt to not do it yourself....
most remans are going to come with a warranty of 12/12 but do not cover removal/install...