Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban Air Conditioning struggles to cool on really hot days

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2011, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban Air Conditioning struggles to cool on really hot days

Hello everyone!

I am glad that I found this community online. I was interested in any help and/or feedback on an A/C issue.

I have a 2011 Suburban and the A/C is cool but not as cold as my previous 2005 Suburban. I have found that when the temperature is above 92 degrees outside, the a/c looses it's effectiveness. The air is cool, but not cold enough to cool the passenger compartment to my satisfaction. This is really dis-appointing and frustrating on hot days.

For example, yesterday's outside temp was 94degrees. The temp of the air blowing from the center a/c vent was around 57 degrees. On some days its been as high as 65 degrees. I know it's not apples to apples, but my friends Nissan Armada was blowing out a chilly 37 degrees from the center a/c vent!

I have taken it to the dealer twice and the first time nothing was done. Second time they replaced Ambient Temp sensor because it was bad. They did other troubleshooting from what I was told (check freon levels etc)

I've heard several reasons from the dealer for the performance, such as:
1. I have black on black interior
2. you gotta drive it on the highway to get better performance. (true, but what if my route does not take me on the highway. I still want to enjoy a comfortable ride)
3. The new style of suburban has been known not to cool as good as the older ones.

Any thoughts?

Is the reading of 57 degrees for the vent air ok if it is 93 degrees outside? Maybe this is the GM standard?

I showed the service tech this chart and they said that these numbers were un-reasonable. Although a couple of other vehicles (non-chevy) fell within the ranges. I have been unable to find someone that would let me test their suburban's a/c.
Air Conditioning Troubleshooting and Repair
see chart at bottom of page.

Thanks in advance for any help and feedback! <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_437168-->
Old July 19th, 2011, 5:46 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Okay here is what I had, its 89 outside right now (a blue northern as its normally 103) truck sitting still holding RPM at 1500 with AC set to lowest setting 60 and recirculate on and fan speed set to high... I got 46.9 degrees and probably would have gotten lower but my hand was getting really frigin' cold!

So yes I think they need to do a bit more checking....
Attached Thumbnails Suburban Air Conditioning struggles to cool on really hot days-img_2243.jpg  
Old July 21st, 2011, 8:49 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Definitely should be 50* or below, especially when moving. A valid A/C test will have a large fan blowing into the front of the vehicle.

I'm calling BS on reasons #1 & #3. #2 is essentially correct but it should operate at lo speeds and no speeds as well.

A R134a system now is just as good as R12 since they've learned to size the components correctly (read bigger) to account for its inherent inefficiency as compared to R12.