Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban bogging down

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2011, 6:25 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fuel pressure should be 60 to 66 psi according to the book i have it could be the pressure regulator on the fuel injection spider have you updated it to the new style i did mine because a poppet stuck closed plus the truck runs better with the new style i got the AC delco one on amazon for about $215 if your going to do the fuel pump again i would go with an AC delco they seem to be better quality,summit racing also has a selection of AC delco stuff

Sean
97 4x4 burb
Old April 28th, 2011, 8:32 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I also replaced my pressure regulator, and injector spider as I was having hard start issues and it cured them.. How I decided that was by using a couple of bottles of fuel injector cleaner in the tank, after adding them and a few starts it started starting much better but would degrade after a few tanks without the additive...

Do the plugs look like they are getting wet with fuel?
Old April 28th, 2011, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

I put the OEm pump in because the first one lasted ~215K miles, not too bad. I am planning on checking the pressure tonight. I will check out the regulator too when/if I drop the tank. I want to check the pressure before the fuel filter too, so as to get a comparison. I pumped fuel last night into a bucket, using the new pump, to see if any crap was coming out of the tank/lines which were disturbed in the replacement last weekend. Looked clean. I have the cavalry coming tomorrow to help with it, buddy was a dealer mechanic for about 15 years. Hopefully we can get this going soon. Wife is starting to wonder what I am doing for all those hours out in the shop.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Chrecked the pressure tonight. Get about 54psi. Won't run for some reason. If I put gas in the throttle body, it idles ok for a little while. Seems to be a fuel delivery problem??? All cylinders checked for spark and all are great. If I have pressure at the test valve, has to be in he throttle body, injectors, ???. Getting near the end. Going to have my buddy up tomorrow with his scan tool and see what we can see.
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Hey in2pro. How is Austin? My oldest son, 24yrs old, just moved down there. He is the mechanic of the family, and of course this did not happen until he left. Not that I could get him to work on his mom's car anyway. He is working at a brake and general repair shop down there.
Old April 29th, 2011, 6:19 AM
CF Senior Member

if you have the old style poppet spider the poppets are designed to open between 45 50 psi if you only have 54 psi of system pressure the pressure drop accross the spider unit isnt enough to open them, the pressure regulator is located on the spider assy if your going to change the regulator i would change the whole spider with the upgrade your pump might be fine

Sean
97 4x4 burb
Old April 30th, 2011, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

OK, my buddy came and said, like shamrock246 said, that it is probably lack of pressure. So, I dropped the tank again and found one of the new plastic hose clamps had broken. I replaced and now I get 60psi when running and it starts and runs like a champ. Used one of the old clamps instead, hope that one does not break. I is a pain to drop the tank and put it back in. Thanks for all the responses, they sure helped in the diagnosis.

lcguy1
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lcguy1
Hey in2pro. How is Austin? My oldest son, 24yrs old, just moved down there. He is the mechanic of the family, and of course this did not happen until he left. Not that I could get him to work on his mom's car anyway. He is working at a brake and general repair shop down there.
I love it here, a bit more liberal then I would care for at times, great place for high tech jobs and good pay... pretty decent housing market abit pricey in some areas thou...Is you son going to school here?
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by lcguy1
OK, my buddy came and said, like shamrock246 said, that it is probably lack of pressure. So, I dropped the tank again and found one of the new plastic hose clamps had broken. I replaced and now I get 60psi when running and it starts and runs like a champ. Used one of the old clamps instead, hope that one does not break. I is a pain to drop the tank and put it back in. Thanks for all the responses, they sure helped in the diagnosis.

lcguy1
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Thanks for the feedback, might help someone in the future.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

in2pro, no he is not going to school. He graduated from Wyotech a few years ago and there are no jobs here in Montana, at least any that pay a mechanic anything. He is working 2 jobs there, one as a bouncer, and one as a mechanic. Don't know how it will all work out for him, but can't be any worse than here. He is living with a buddy who is going to school.

Quick Reply: Suburban bogging down