Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban Dissapointment

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2022, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban Dissapointment

Since purchasing my 2012 Chevrolet Suburban LT, I have always brought it to the dealer that I purchased it from for maintenance and most repairs. On March 08 2022 I brought it in for an oil change and to check on a few items I have noticed. I then receive a call telling me that I have approximately $11,000 CDN, yes eleven thousand dollars Canadian, in repairs to be made. (PDF file included for GM).

It seems that the "quality" of service and the "work ethics" of the "qualified experts" have a lot to be desired. I can only guess they used apprentice mechanics so as to keep profits high. I worked as a lead hand for a fleet of vehicles, and someone who tells the service technician a job is done without spotting other problems, or a technician that does the ABSOLUTE minimum of the job is not worth the damage it can do to the reputation of a company.

Included the list of items that need replacing / repairing is are manifold studs. I am told that there are missing and / or broken studs and the manifolds are crocked. When asked how, the reason I am given is because of temperature swing from cold-hot cold etc. REALLY... you make a vehicle with engine parts that can not handle temperature differences, especially on the exhaust manifolds??

And then my favorite part. Supposedly I need a new camshaft along with lifters etc...in other words the common 5.3 problem that has plagued this engine from about 2007. There is NO misfire or stumble..only clacking in cold weather. Lifters not holding the oil?..possibly.. but adding a camshaft without actually seeing it?

So in conclusion, I expected a lot more for a vehicle of this caliber and from all those years of going to the GM Dealer for my maintenance with the assumption that if there would be a problem with the vehicle it would always be found, brought to my attention and rectified BEFORE it became a larger problem. But no, this was nothing more than a waste of time and money and ends up costing me what would be about 6 months salary for the average person. A VERY DISAPPOINTED customer.

CC: GM Canada, https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/foru...discussion.14/, https://chevroletforum.com/forum/, https://www.gmtruckclub.com/
Old March 9th, 2022, 10:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tigger5
Since purchasing my 2012 Chevrolet Suburban LT, I have always brought it to the dealer that I purchased it from for maintenance and most repairs. On March 08 2022 I brought it in for an oil change and to check on a few items I have noticed. I then receive a call telling me that I have approximately $11,000 CDN, yes eleven thousand dollars Canadian, in repairs to be made. (PDF file included for GM).

It seems that the "quality" of service and the "work ethics" of the "qualified experts" have a lot to be desired. I can only guess they used apprentice mechanics so as to keep profits high. I worked as a lead hand for a fleet of vehicles, and someone who tells the service technician a job is done without spotting other problems, or a technician that does the ABSOLUTE minimum of the job is not worth the damage it can do to the reputation of a company.

Included the list of items that need replacing / repairing is are manifold studs. I am told that there are missing and / or broken studs and the manifolds are crocked. When asked how, the reason I am given is because of temperature swing from cold-hot cold etc. REALLY... you make a vehicle with engine parts that can not handle temperature differences, especially on the exhaust manifolds??

And then my favorite part. Supposedly I need a new camshaft along with lifters etc...in other words the common 5.3 problem that has plagued this engine from about 2007. There is NO misfire or stumble..only clacking in cold weather. Lifters not holding the oil?..possibly.. but adding a camshaft without actually seeing it?

So in conclusion, I expected a lot more for a vehicle of this caliber and from all those years of going to the GM Dealer for my maintenance with the assumption that if there would be a problem with the vehicle it would always be found, brought to my attention and rectified BEFORE it became a larger problem. But no, this was nothing more than a waste of time and money and ends up costing me what would be about 6 months salary for the average person. A VERY DISAPPOINTED customer.

CC: GM Canada, https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/foru...discussion.14/, https://chevroletforum.com/forum/, https://www.gmtruckclub.com/
I don't use dealers. There are lots of great shops and independent mechanics out there. 114,000 miles and all this occurred? It was a sad day when the 5.7 was replaced by the 5.3.
Sad day as well when Chevrolet removed the best 4 cylinder motor they ever made, the non-turbo 2.5 liter, from the line up in 2016. I love that great motor in my 2015 Chevrolet Malibu.
Old March 10th, 2022, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe they figured a person who brings a 10-year-old vehicle to a dealership for regular maintenance was an easy mark.
Old March 10th, 2022, 7:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tigger5
Since purchasing my 2012 Chevrolet Suburban LT, I have always brought it to the dealer that I purchased it from for maintenance and most repairs.

It seems that the "quality" of service and the "work ethics" of the "qualified experts" have a lot to be desired.
We tried the dealer for one repair, for the repair of intermittent failure to close of the sunroof in our 2005 Yukon (it would ALWAYS open). After approximately 6 visits for this, dealer service writer told me they "had no idea what was wrong". After a little fight, they did refund my money.

I removed the sunroof fuse while the sunroof was closed, left it that way.

Right now we're eligible for the passenger air bag recall/fix; I called them and they are out of stock again, apparently 1.8 million GM vehicles are affected. So may need to "visit" the dealer for that eventually (they want the vehicle all day).
Old March 10th, 2022, 9:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Sintek
Maybe they figured a person who brings a 10-year-old vehicle to a dealership for regular maintenance was an easy mark.
You are likely correct. Stealer-ships, and I mean all of them, not just GM/Chevy, suck and they always have too. Bunch of rip-off artists, IMO. Got me a good auto shop for things I cant repair. 10% off labor if you are over 65 or have AAA too. They'll take you home if you live 5
miles or less, and don't have a ride. Cant beat that with
a stick!

Last edited by oilcanhenry; March 10th, 2022 at 9:19 AM.