Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban rear lift gate lock

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2015, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban rear lift gate lock

2010 suburban lt . The lift gate lock is acting up again!! The lift gate will not unlock with the key fob or the interior lock buttons. The gate locked in the down position but I managed to release it manually with the emergency mechanical release inside.

If the truck sits for an hour of so and you open the drivers door you can hear the rear lock try to open but it won't open all the way.

When you try to open the gate with the exterior handle seems like there is no power at the handle. Seems like the ruck thinks the gate is already open as I'm intermittently getting a message that says the rear lift gate is open .

Already pulled fuse 44 and it's not blown . Left it out for a while hoping it would reset. Nothing ...

This all happened two years ago and went away unexplained until now .
Old January 27th, 2015, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

My 2011 LS is in the shop right now for a similar problem. I do not have the power liftgate.

Just received a call from dealer that the touch pad switch is shorted out.

I got a message that the rear liftgate was ajar. It was half unlocked....but ajar. I closed it and it never opened again. I needed an oil change so I took it in to have it diagnosed. They have the switch in stock and it is going to cost just under $300 to repair.

Seems excessive and premature for the switch to fail with 54k miles. I bought it used 12 months and 3 weeks ago....of course GM Certified Warranty is good for 12 months.....
Old January 28th, 2015, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like yours is doing the same as mine . Funny thing is, mine started doing this two years ago but it only lasted for about a week. Went away and now it's back again ?
Old January 29th, 2015, 4:56 AM
CF Beginner

They ended up covering the switch. It cost $22. Labor was $210.

If you can get the liftgate open and tye inside panel off it shouldnt be too hard to do.
Old January 29th, 2015, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

I've been able to get the lift gate open using the emergency release from inside. Before ordering the new switch I'd like to know how to verify its the switch not the $130 controller. Any ideas ?