Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Is a Suburban right for me?

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2014, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Suburban right for me?

Hey guys,
I currently have a 2014 CR-V, I was in an accident where someone swerved into me and the car is totaled. I and my girlfriend were nearly killed. I am looking for a bigger, safer car. I was looking at the Suburban.
Here is some info about myself:

Only me, my girlfriend and my dog. (although I will be driving my 4 brothers to places)

I hunt/shoot guns often, in my CR-V I was always running out of room. I live in FL half the year, and MA half the year.

Here are my questions:
1. Any experience on a Suburban? I am interested in a Body-On-Frame vehicle. I was thinking a 2011~2013 Suburban.

2. Is AWD required for a Suburban? I had it on my CR-V due to the snow in MA.

3. How much could I expect to pay for a 2011~2013 Suburban LTZ?

4. Any suggestions for me?
Thanks!
Old December 29th, 2014, 9:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Suburbans are great. I run both a suburban and tahoe. I take my dog with me almost always. I carry a kennel for the dog. I personally think the tahoe is the perfect sized vehicle. Suburbans are great but are just a little difficult to park. Now if you can deal with not being able to put a suburban in a garage, you will be gtg. 99% of the time though a tahoe will serve you fine. I am about to upgrade to a 2015. I am inclined to go back to a tahoe.
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
Suburbans are great. I run both a suburban and tahoe. I take my dog with me almost always. I carry a kennel for the dog. I personally think the tahoe is the perfect sized vehicle. Suburbans are great but are just a little difficult to park. Now if you can deal with not being able to put a suburban in a garage, you will be gtg. 99% of the time though a tahoe will serve you fine. I am about to upgrade to a 2015. I am inclined to go back to a tahoe.
Tahoe seems like exactly what I need. My only issue is, it seems extremely expensive for what it is.
Old December 30th, 2014, 7:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cost

well, you didn't mention towing, so there are many Tahoe sized vehicles that can't tow, but are less expensive.

they aren't body on frame, so they do offer more interior room and some times better MPG.

It's going to be a world of cost going from a CR-V to a Tahoe

Vehicle Size $$
Maintenance - $$
Tires/Brakes/oil changes, take your CR-V and easily double them.

MPG... fuel costs.

ONE tire on my Tahoe was $200 something.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=LTZ

Not saying you can/can't. just know all the costs before you jump in.

a CR-V while a "CUV", shares many parts with the rest of Honda's line, which are generally economical (and crazy reliable) vehicles.

Look at the Total Cost of Ownership is all I'm saying.

I prefer big stuff too, that's why I drive a Tahoe and lifted Jeep

It's just.. not cheap... lol
Old December 30th, 2014, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rosefox911
Hey guys,
I currently have a 2014 CR-V, I was in an accident where someone swerved into me and the car is totaled. I and my girlfriend were nearly killed. I am looking for a bigger, safer car. I was looking at the Suburban.
Here is some info about myself:

Only me, my girlfriend and my dog. (although I will be driving my 4 brothers to places)

I hunt/shoot guns often, in my CR-V I was always running out of room. I live in FL half the year, and MA half the year.

Here are my questions:
1. Any experience on a Suburban? I am interested in a Body-On-Frame vehicle. I was thinking a 2011~2013 Suburban.

2. Is AWD required for a Suburban? I had it on my CR-V due to the snow in MA.

3. How much could I expect to pay for a 2011~2013 Suburban LTZ?

4. Any suggestions for me?
Thanks!
I've owned Suburbans for most of my adult life, you will quickly become addicted to them. Nothing beats them for room, or towing, (pickups can tow more lbs, but at the cost of room) or comfort.

2WD Suburbans handle surprisingly well, but I would recommend 4WD models, especially if you take it off paved road to hunt.

Suburbans are not inexpensive. For a 2011 LTZ, the going rate is still close to $40K. I just bought my 2011 LT, which had many LTZ features for $29.9K, with 68,000 miles on it.

If you are planning to tow anything, make sure you get the 3.42 or higher rear differential. A lot of the suburbans that were former lease/rentals are 3.08 which gives you a maximum capacity of 5000 lbs. (That is only 500 more than a Honda Pilot's capacity) The increase in mpg versus the loss of capacity is not worth it in my mind.

I've also owned a 2014 CRV, which I actually traded in on this particular Suburban. I've also owned 3 Honda Pilots, which I had traded in a beloved Suburban for, seeking better mpg. Turns out, the Suburban gets almost the same mpg as the Honda Pilot, but is much more useful.

So, if I were to offer advice, find a well equipped 4WD LT, unless you are really hung up on the LTZ. As I said, my LT has the same 20 inch wheels, DVD system, Backup camera, rear sensors, leather, sunroof, rear heated seats, power folding rear seats, power hatch, etc. etc. as an LTZ. If you really want the chrome door handles, you can replace them, as I did. For the 10K in difference, the only thing I don't have is quad seating, which is not as handy as the conventional seating anyway. You should be able to find a 2011 - 2013 LT for $28-35K.

As for the garage thing, mine fits in our average size garage fine. You won't be able to walk around it with the garage door closed, but there is plenty of room for the 'burb and my wife's Honda Accord.

Last edited by sfergson727; December 30th, 2014 at 8:02 AM.
Old December 30th, 2014, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sfergson727
I've owned Suburbans for most of my adult life, you will quickly become addicted to them. Nothing beats them for room, or towing, (pickups can tow more lbs, but at the cost of room) or comfort.

2WD Suburbans handle surprisingly well, but I would recommend 4WD models, especially if you take it off paved road to hunt.

Suburbans are not inexpensive. For a 2011 LTZ, the going rate is still close to $40K. I just bought my 2011 LT, which had many LTZ features for $29.9K, with 68,000 miles on it.

If you are planning to tow anything, make sure you get the 3.42 or higher rear differential. A lot of the suburbans that were former lease/rentals are 3.08 which gives you a maximum capacity of 5000 lbs. (That is only 500 more than a Honda Pilot's capacity) The increase in mpg versus the loss of capacity is not worth it in my mind.

I've also owned a 2014 CRV, which I actually traded in on this particular Suburban. I've also owned 3 Honda Pilots, which I had traded in a beloved Suburban for, seeking better mpg. Turns out, the Suburban gets almost the same mpg as the Honda Pilot, but is much more useful.

So, if I were to offer advice, find a well equipped 4WD LT, unless you are really hung up on the LTZ. As I said, my LT has the same 20 inch wheels, DVD system, Backup camera, rear sensors, leather, sunroof, rear heated seats, power folding rear seats, power hatch, etc. etc. as an LTZ. If you really want the chrome door handles, you can replace them, as I did. For the 10K in difference, the only thing I don't have is quad seating, which is not as handy as the conventional seating anyway. You should be able to find a 2011 - 2013 LT for $28-35K.

As for the garage thing, mine fits in our average size garage fine. You won't be able to walk around it with the garage door closed, but there is plenty of room for the 'burb and my wife's Honda Accord.
Thanks! Would you mind sharing what you got for your CRV in trade-in value? Mine is the EX-L with navigation.
Old December 30th, 2014, 10:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Tahoe seems like exactly what I need. My only issue is, it seems extremely expensive for what it is.
Tahoes are about 3k less than a suburban. Other than 22 inches less in length. They are pretty much the same.
Old December 31st, 2014, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks! Would you mind sharing what you got for your CRV in trade-in value? Mine is the EX-L with navigation.
It was't pretty....mine was like yours, EX-L with navi, 7800 miles...I traded it in for $26,300. I probably could have done better selling it outright, but with the tax consideration, I figure I broke even.

The first dealer I went to offered me $21,500 for it. I walked out.
Old January 5th, 2015, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

I'm on my 3rd Burb and my 2nd Tahoe...currently running an 07 Burb and a 15 Tahoe. Both are only my vehicles and I can choose to drive either daily...I drive Burb 90% of the time. Will NEVER be without one!!!!
I have no issues parking...drives like no other.
Goodluck,
Jeff

07 Suburban LTZ
15 Tahoe LTZ
Old January 6th, 2015, 6:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got rid of my Ford Explorer and moved to a Suburban a couple of years ago for hunting/utility. There's no comparison in terms of the ride and the sheer volume of room. Mine is outfited with home made version of a truck vault for hunting/fishing and dogs, which works especially well when I'm chasing Pheasants in North Dakota and everything needs to be "there". I paid 15K for my '07 LTZ with 104,000 miles on it, but I put in about 7K in body work and mechanical repairs to make it right.

I just took possession of a 2013 LTZ put into service 6/2014 as a factory demo, and it came with 9000 miles on it and the remainder of the warranty. I paid $43,750 for it. But I hunted like a dog to find that deal, and paid another $750 to have it shipped to me.

Quick Reply: Is a Suburban right for me?