Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban Washer Fluid Reservoir Question

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2024, 11:05 PM
3Js
CF Active Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Suburban Washer Fluid Reservoir Question

I have a spare single pump windshield washer reservoir from a Chevy extra cab pick up. 2006.
My 2006 Suburban,with rear wipers, reservoir has dual pumps and leaks empty after a day.
There shouldn't be an issue just using the single pump reservoir and leaving the second pump plug just hanging. I never use the rear squirters or wiper.
Am I correct in my thinking?
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (May 10th, 2024)
Old May 9th, 2024, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

🤷‍♂️ try it.
If the reservoir fits, and the pump connector is the same then maybe.
Old May 10th, 2024, 3:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the same issue with my 2006 Silverado 1500. It leaks out all the washer fluid in about a day. However, I recently discovered this. I recently filled it, but did not activate the pump, and it held the reservoir full for a full week. I then activated it to clean the windshield, and it was empty within a day.

My speculation in my case is that the reservoir itself does not have a leak, which is what I was thinking, but that the pump or the line just past the pump has a leak. When the pump/line are dry, nothing leaks. Once you activate it and fill the line, siphon action causes it to gradually empty the entire reservoir.

It is really unfortunate how they buried that reservoir in there where it is extremely hard to get to without removing other things.
Old May 10th, 2024, 10:42 PM
3Js
CF Active Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jfmorris
I've got the same issue with my 2006 Silverado 1500. It leaks out all the washer fluid in about a day. However, I recently discovered this. I recently filled it, but did not activate the pump, and it held the reservoir full for a full week. I then activated it to clean the windshield, and it was empty within a day.

My speculation in my case is that the reservoir itself does not have a leak, which is what I was thinking, but that the pump or the line just past the pump has a leak. When the pump/line are dry, nothing leaks. Once you activate it and fill the line, siphon action causes it to gradually empty the entire reservoir.

It is really unfortunate how they buried that reservoir in there where it is extremely hard to get to without removing other things.
Well, son of a B.

Removed the tank. Leak testing the resevoir and it looks like it might not be the tank. That's what I get for just presuming without getting underneath and doing a detailed inspection. Probably just a leaking line