Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

tahoe electrical system going crazy

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2012, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tahoe electrical system going crazy

Not sure where to start with this crazy stuff. My 2007 chevy tahoe just all of sudden started acting crazy, my blinkers and brights would not work, back hatch would not open, towing would not engage, and then my back hatch would not open. The next day it would not crank. My husband did not want to replace the battery bc we had a huge lightning storm the night before and the tree that my tahoe was parked near, had been struck by lightning, so he thought the lightning had messed with it and he was afraid if he put a new battery, it would fry it too. So chevy place test it and says one of the cells in battery is bad. So change the battery, go pick it up from chevy , everything is working now, but brake warning light is on and dings like crazy when driving.(this light or ding was not a problem before battery was changed) Now they say it is the body control module. # 1 shouldnt that have showed up when they put my tahoe on the machine to test the battery, and why did everything start working again when the battery was replaced but now the brake warning light came on and wont stop dinging when driving.
Old September 20th, 2012, 8:39 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Have you considered using your insurance to fix it since it seems to be caused by the lightning strike?
Old September 24th, 2012, 3:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ashley Fletcher Richard
Not sure where to start with this crazy stuff. My 2007 chevy tahoe just all of sudden started acting crazy, my blinkers and brights would not work, back hatch would not open, towing would not engage, and then my back hatch would not open. The next day it would not crank. My husband did not want to replace the battery bc we had a huge lightning storm the night before and the tree that my tahoe was parked near, had been struck by lightning, so he thought the lightning had messed with it and he was afraid if he put a new battery, it would fry it too. So chevy place test it and says one of the cells in battery is bad. So change the battery, go pick it up from chevy , everything is working now, but brake warning light is on and dings like crazy when driving.(this light or ding was not a problem before battery was changed) Now they say it is the body control module. # 1 shouldnt that have showed up when they put my tahoe on the machine to test the battery, and why did everything start working again when the battery was replaced but now the brake warning light came on and wont stop dinging when driving.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Ashley Fletcher Richard,

Electrical issues can be tricky. I recommend taking the advice of your dealer.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 25th, 2012, 7:40 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

Have you considered using your insurance to fix it since it seems to be caused by the lightning strike?
I would concur, insurance companies know what signs to look for in a lightning strike, if this can been seen in the area around the tree and the vehicle is regularly parked there, its very plausible the lighting could have caused the problems...