Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe is No longer my Daily Driver...

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2015, 11:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Yes and no, this isn't a Tesla forum so those posts will go there. I don't want to be too off topic.

So far there are few areas I'd like them to improve, and from past experience with them, they will.

1. The seat / wheel do not move when you exit. I'm used to a full size SUV, and don't really like cars, but since the wheel and seat are power, it shouldn't be hard to have the seat auto move all the way back when you go to Park, and the wheel to move in and up out of the way. (it already has driver profiles where you select your name, then 'save' or 'restore' to move the seat/wheel/mirrors.

2. the sat-nav. the screen is AWESOME. it's 17" of HD map **** using google maps, real time traffic, and even shows you property lines. HOWEVER... I've found two issues.
a. you can't enter multiple destinations... you can only enter ONE at a time. so you can't drive point A B C D. it's A-B only.
b. The routing... sucks. They don't use Google Routing, only google maps... so like Apple Maps, it's all jacked up when you know there is a better route.

Both of these issues are fairly small as the I can manually move the seat, and know the local routes. Also, since Tesla has since day one been releasing new firmware over the air (for FREE) they've made multiple improvements to the vehicle. All of these features could easily be put in new firmware, and I will be suggesting them to Tesla...

Last night I had a bit of a panic attack. I couldn't open the charge port! I tried like 20x pushing the button which pops open a small plastic cover on the port, which keeps dirt/water out.

I called Tesla's road side assistance #. (free) they said... "is it cold" I said yea, it's like 20 degrees outside (I'd just gotten home). They said OK, it may be frozen shut. I said yea... well... I did just run it through the car wash... (I got a $27/month unlimited car wash pass). So... yea... they told me what to press to open it manually, took 20 seconds tops. I was on the phone... according to my iPhone... THREE minutes from call placed to hang up. Got a person clearly in the USA. They say it's 24/7 for any issues.

As for carrying stuff, it's actually quite freaking huge in the trunk AND frunk. So far I haven't tried to carry much, but dare I say it's got more sqft than my Tahoe had of room... It doesn't have the height obviously...

Also, for carrying stuff, I never carried much in the Tahoe, at $55,000 I never wanted to to be honest... My wife and I have a 2005 Mazda Tribute that's much more likely to carry drywall, plywood, cement, paint, and anything else from lowes We also have a utility trailer that is towed by the Mazda or the Tahoe for the really dirty stuff.

I did manage to get it out a bit in the snow... it's freaking awesome. Even with only 2WD, the traction control is just... perfect. it just goes. I believe that's in part to the motor, but also the 4,600 lb curb weight... It's a tank. They do make a AWD version, and the SUV is only available AWD. However, again in bad snow I work from home or take the Mazda... no need to have someone crash into me in this vs. a $4k car.

Don't worry, I'm waiting for the issues to creep up, it's only been two days though

If this mortgage payment of a car doesn't work out, it will receive my full cynicism.

Just be fair. But seriously. Good luck with your purchase.
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:18 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default expectations

A lot is expectation management. And I feel GM doesn't do well with this, with their higher-end vehicles. They need to treat the customers who purchase vehicles in the $50k+ category a little differently than they treat customers in the $20k category. Is this 'right'?
I don't know, ethics are... fuzzy at best.

All I know is when my $55,000 Tahoe needed to be kept at the dealer they gave me a 4 year old Lumina with a 1/8th tank of gas and a sticky steering wheel...

And I know that BMW, Tesla, Audi, and Benz all give you... another vehicle of equal or better value.

They really can't expect to compete in the over $50k category unless they up their service game.

And yes, I will give Tesla the same scrutiny.

But, interestingly so far, their service/help has been phenomenal!

My largest issue so far is just adapting to the Sedan lifestyle... I still can't seem to get in/out gracefully...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; February 24th, 2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:20 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
As much as I dislike the GM Nav, at least it does offer 2-3 routes.

What's CPO?

For those wondering what "frunk" is: Defining the ?Frunk.? Tesla names the Front-Trunk in a way VW, Porsche and Corvair never did.?FIVE THOT discover ideas, people, views, lifestyles and business

Certified Pro Owned
Old January 3rd, 2016, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav/radio/back-up camera intermittent.

My 2008 Siverado 2500HD LTZ started with the back-up camera intermittently having a blank screen, hit the side of the console and it would come on sometimes, now the nav screen works on first startup but if a shut down and restart the truck its black. I'm thinking its some kind of power relay problem or bad connection and I'm wondering if there's a circuit board that controls the power to both. I know if I take it to the dealer they'll be parts changers and it will cost a fortune. Anyone run into this problem?