Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe pulls to right when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2010, 10:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
If the front wheels slip, who cares what the rear wheels do? Because you cant steer the car with the rear wheels. If the front wheels slip in a front wheel drive, you can't give the car any gas to get out of the situation you can only steer your way out. Gas will only make you lose control, it is a front wheel drive. The same as in a 4WD, since all the wheels get power you ll lose control of the car giving it moderate gas trying to correct out of a spin.

If the left and right wheels always rotated at the same speed, then how do you turn the car without skipping around the corner? Thats the purpose of the spider gears in the differential. In a turn the wheel on the inside of the turn moves slower than the wheel on the outside of the turn. It is also why they put a dampener on the right side axle shaft of front wheel drive cars(left hand drive), because the oscillations from rotation are different on the longer driveshaft than the shorter one.

Put the car on a lift in 4wd, the right front wheel will spin and the left rear also at the same time. If you hold the left rear the right rear will spin. If you hold the right front the left front will spin. If you hold both rear wheels both front wheels will spin.
I have been driving in snow every winter for the last 25 years so I know that giving the proper amount of gas when slipping in a curve does help get the car towards the right direction IF it has front wheel drive. On ice you have less chance of succeding getting into control but on snow your chances are better than with only rear wheel drive. The unexperienced driver who is not used to slippery driving probably goes right off the road with too much gas or too much steering/braking(if not ABS). The trick is not driving too fast for the traction available at the moment, so on ice you always go very slow in curves. So I'm not refering to driving 45mph through a curve at winter but moderate speed where slipping usually can be controlled if you know what youre doing.

Both left and right wheels rotate at the same speed when driving straight forward, which is where my issue is present and what I was asking about. I know the differential makes it possible for the wheels rotate att different speeds when turning but when going in a straight line the left and right axels rotate att the same speed. The length of the axels can not change this.
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Okay, so if the front right wheel is the easiest to spin and is the one getting all of the power once it breaks loose, explain why that action would cause the vehicle to pull to the right.

It wont.

The tire will want to go off to the left as it pulls itself forward and pivots around the ball joints.
Old December 9th, 2010, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

I have a theory that if the pitman arm is bad/loose, the force of the frontwheel drive when in 4WD will move the steering linkage in a bad way so the right wheel can move in an outward motion and pull the car to the right. The left wheel would stay in place since its directly connected to the steering gear. But when I try to move the pitman arm it seems OK, is there a special way to check the pitman?
Old December 9th, 2010, 7:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleO7
Okay, so if the front right wheel is the easiest to spin and is the one getting all of the power once it breaks loose, explain why that action would cause the vehicle to pull to the right.

It wont.

The tire will want to go off to the left as it pulls itself forward and pivots around the ball joints.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????
Old December 9th, 2010, 7:27 PM
CF Veteran

I discovered, that when accelerating hard in 4WD-Hi and the wheels start slipping a bit I have to steer hard left because tha car pulls hard to the right. I get off the gas it stabilizes straight and I have to return the wheel fast so I wont fly left into oncoming vehicles.
if driven gently it follows the steeringwheel just as it should and does in 2WD.
It's as if the frontwheel drive pushes the wheels to the right.

And I m starting to think I dont charge enough...
Old December 9th, 2010, 8:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Your not reading what I posted. Or I did not splain it clear enough.

If the right wheel is spinning more than the left wheel or is the only wheel spinning on the front axle, the right wheel is going to go to the left.

Imagine if the tie rods broke. Upon acceleration the front wheels are going to pigeon toe. Right will go to the left and the left will go to the right.

If only the right front is spinning, the truck is only going to go to the right if it is steered to the right.

I think the OP's problem is that the rear axle is trying to go around the front axle.
Old December 9th, 2010, 8:09 PM
CF Junior Member

I discovered, that when accelerating hard in 4WD-Hi and the wheels start slipping a bit I have to steer hard left because tha car pulls hard to the right. I get off the gas it stabilizes straight and I have to return the wheel fast so I wont fly left into oncoming vehicles.
if driven gently it follows the steeringwheel just as it should and does in 2WD.

Other than your statement in green, which I agree with 100%, your contention that the right wheel will pull first and to the right is an over charge already.
Old December 10th, 2010, 1:53 AM
CF Beginner

And I wouldn't pay you a cent.....
Its hard to write in text exactly what happens and I corrected my first post later (which you probably did not read or dont want to)
It's not like I'm giving it full throttle, just enough so that the wheels start slipping. If I wouldn't hold the steering wheel it feels like it's going to make a U-turn to the right as soon as the wheels start slipping and that can't be OK. Yes frontwheel drive cars pull to the side some when loosing traction on one of the front wheels but not this much.
Old December 10th, 2010, 8:59 PM
CF Veteran

Good luck to you man, You got it all figured out leadfoot. Yeah, tug on that Pitman Arm that may be the cause of your condition.
Old December 10th, 2010, 9:39 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

This is from the following website:"Torque steer: A tendency for a front-wheel-drive car to pull to one side on acceleration. It's the result of the shafts that come out of the transaxle and transmit power (torque) to the front wheels being two different lengths (because the transaxle doesn't sit precisely in the middle) and one shaft spinning one wheel slightly faster than the other. Most manufacturers have engineered their vehicles to reduce torque steer, although it can still be a problem with some high-powered front-wheel-drive vehicles. Rear-wheel-drive cars don't exhibit torque steer because there's no power going to their front wheels."

http://jilmcintosh.typepad.com/jil/a...-glossary.html

FWIW RWD hipo cars will pull right under hard acceleration. I always attributed it to the engine torque trying to lift the right side thereby limiting traction on that side allowing the left rear wheel to push the front end to the right.

Quick Reply: Tahoe pulls to right when accelerating