Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe pulls to right when accelerating

Old December 6th, 2010, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe pulls to right when accelerating

Hi all, I'm new to driving a 4WD so I'm not sure where to start searching on the car. Its a Tahoe LT 2002..

I discovered, now when snow has arrived here, that when accelerating hard in 4WD-Hi and the wheels start slipping a bit I have to steer hard left because tha car pulls hard to the right. As soon as I get off the gas it stabilizes straight and I have to return the wheel fast so I wont fly left into oncoming vehicles. It feels very unstable when stepping hard on the gas but if driven gently it follows the steeringwheel just as it should and does in 2WD.
It's as if the frontwheel drive pushes the wheels to the right.

I'm no stranger to mechanics I just don't know 4WD that good..
Does anyone had this experience and know where to start looking?

Thanks from a snow'y Sweden
/Thomas
Old December 6th, 2010, 8:38 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

It could be torque steer effect. I won't comment on the advisability of "hard" acceleration in 4WD on a snowy surface.
Old December 7th, 2010, 1:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

It could be torque steer effect. I won't comment on the advisability of "hard" acceleration in 4WD on a snowy surface.
Thanks,

Is torque steer effect normal? It feels quite wobbly when on slippery roads and I thought it would be safer with 4WD.

I'm sorry, I probably used the wrong expression. By Hard acceleration I mean like when I start from a redlight and give enough gas so the wheels start to slip. I'm not using the Tahoe for rally cross

/Thomas
Old December 7th, 2010, 4:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the axle shaft on the right side is shorter than on the left side. so on heavy acceleration torque follows the path of least resistance which is the shorter axle shaft. The right side axle shaft is shorter because the steering components and the transfer case are on the left side of the car.
Take it easy with those starts, you re putting a lot of stress on that system and transfer cases and front differential DO cost as much as the transmission does when its time to repair.

And 4wd is dangerous on slippery roads. Its not made for that. You can easily lose control of the car that way. Its made for limited traction applications.
And for the record, max speed in 4wd is 45mph. Unless you like burning stuff up?

Last edited by RacerX; December 7th, 2010 at 4:36 PM.
Old December 8th, 2010, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
And 4wd is dangerous on slippery roads. Its not made for that. You can easily lose control of the car that way. Its made for limited traction applications.
And for the record, max speed in 4wd is 45mph. Unless you like burning stuff up?
4WD dangerous on slippery roads?? are you serious? At least here in Sweden the number one reason people buy 4WD vehicles is because they are safer when it gets slippery... Have you ever seen snow?

I can't find any reference in the owners manual about going max 45 mph in 4WD, are you sure about that too?
Old December 8th, 2010, 5:04 PM
CF Veteran

Do what you want to do man? Burn it all up.

You do know there is a difference between AWD and 4WD right? They are not the same thing. They put AWD on small cars and luxury SUVs in the US because people who cant drive in inclement weather like to pretend they can.
4WD is dangerous on slippery roads because if one wheel slips there is the tendency of the driver to overcompensate and hit the gas pedal. But in a 4WD all the wheels get power which makes the car hard to control is you fishtail or spin out. Dangerous. AWD the TCM or ABS system determines which wheel is spinning and either does a gear reduction, brake application or lock-up on that particular axle.

But you know...kill yourself, do what you want to do man. Go 100mph in 4WD, I m sure they make fire extinguishers in Sweden dont they?
Old December 8th, 2010, 8:53 PM
CF Junior Member

the axle shaft on the right side is shorter than on the left side. so on heavy acceleration torque follows the path of least resistance which is the shorter axle shaft. The right side axle shaft is shorter because the steering components and the transfer case are on the left side of the car. So your saying that the right axle will loose traction first? If it does, would not the spinning right wheel pull the truck in the direction aimed? If he has some sort of limited slip in the front, then the above short axle theory does not fit as both axle shafts would turn in harmony. The front axle ratio is slightly different then the rear axle ratio so that the front axle pulls more than the rear axle pushes. Assuming it is totally stock.
To the OP, try the hard straight line acceleration takeoff on a known flat surface like a parking lot. I bet it behaves differently.
Take it easy with those starts, you re putting a lot of stress on that system and transfer cases and front differential DO cost as much as the transmission does when its time to repair.

And 4wd is dangerous on slippery roads. Its not made for that. You can easily lose control of the car that way. Its made for limited traction applications. A slippery road IS a limited traction application.
45 max? really? only in some sort of whimpy 4WD minivan.
Old December 8th, 2010, 9:13 PM
CF Veteran

No, I disagree. A slippery road is a NO traction condition. Thats why the wheel is slipping. If one wheel slips and the power is diverted to the other and that wheel slips also then how do you control the car? Only one set of wheels can steer although they all receive power? If both front wheels slip on a patch of black ice then how do you manage to correct yourself from this? And if one is traveling faster than 45mph you dont see the inherent dangers?

Limited traction is to be in 24" of snow or mud.

I m saying the right axle is shorter and it is easier(less torque) to turn and also that it turns faster than the left side because that side axle shaft is longer. The right side will move first pulling the car in that direction on heavy acceleration. Similar to front wheel drive cars.

You assertion is that both axle shaft rotate at the same rpm i
Old December 9th, 2010, 2:15 AM
CF Beginner

No, I disagree. A slippery road is a NO traction condition. Thats why the wheel is slipping. If one wheel slips and the power is diverted to the other and that wheel slips also then how do you control the car? Only one set of wheels can steer although they all receive power? If both front wheels slip on a patch of black ice then how do you manage to correct yourself from this? And if one is traveling faster than 45mph you dont see the inherent dangers?

Limited traction is to be in 24" of snow or mud.

I m saying the right axle is shorter and it is easier(less torque) to turn and also that it turns faster than the left side because that side axle shaft is longer. The right side will move first pulling the car in that direction on heavy acceleration. Similar to front wheel drive cars.

You assertion is that both axle shaft rotate at the same rpm i
I'm fully aware that a road with ice is dangerous but that was not my question here. The condition I mean is when I'm driving my Tahoe in maybe 5 inches of snow and when accelerating it pulls quite hard to the right so I have to compensate to the left with the steeringwheel. Something in the suspention seem to have alot of play or is loose but there are no strange sounds coming from the front end. I've had a friend mechanic check bushings and joints but he could not find anything strange. But he doesn't normally work on trucks so maybe he missed something so I was hoping someone here has had the same issue and could help me locate whats wrong.

If the front wheels slip on Ice at 45mph then the rear wheels would also be slipping? or do Ice paches travel with you at 45 mph so only the front wheels slip? Any car is dangerous when the front wheels slip but with drive on the front wheels you can "pull" the car in the right direction if you apply moderate gas.

Your axel rotation theory is not correct either. The lenght of an axel does not change the rotation rpm. If that would be the case the right wheel would be constantly spinning since it rotates faster than the left wheel??

I sounds like your refering to a ****** Jeep from 1942 not a 2000+ Chevy 4WD truck.

Originally Posted by DoubleO7
To the OP, try the hard straight line acceleration takeoff on a known flat surface like a parking lot. I bet it behaves differently.
That I have not tried, will do this and see if it behaves the same way. I have only noticed this condition in normal driving conditions but on several different roads. Thanks for helping with my issue.
Old December 9th, 2010, 9:12 AM
CF Veteran

If the front wheels slip, who cares what the rear wheels do? Because you cant steer the car with the rear wheels. If the front wheels slip in a front wheel drive, you can't give the car any gas to get out of the situation you can only steer your way out. Gas will only make you lose control, it is a front wheel drive. The same as in a 4WD, since all the wheels get power you ll lose control of the car giving it moderate gas trying to correct out of a spin.

If the left and right wheels always rotated at the same speed, then how do you turn the car without skipping around the corner? Thats the purpose of the spider gears in the differential. In a turn the wheel on the inside of the turn moves slower than the wheel on the outside of the turn. It is also why they put a dampener on the right side axle shaft of front wheel drive cars(left hand drive), because the oscillations from rotation are different on the longer driveshaft than the shorter one.

Put the car on a lift in 4wd, the right front wheel will spin and the left rear also at the same time. If you hold the left rear the right rear will spin. If you hold the right front the left front will spin. If you hold both rear wheels both front wheels will spin.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tahoe pulls to right when accelerating