Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe pulls to right when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2010, 9:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can reduce torque steer in FWD by putting larger wheels on the front than you do on the rear. GM did this in the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that had the 5.3 V8 that from the Impala SS. They put 19" on the front and 18" on the rear. They did a whole story on this in Car and Driver magazine in like 2006 or 2007. It should be in their online archive.

Last edited by RacerX; December 10th, 2010 at 9:52 PM.
Old December 11th, 2010, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
Good luck to you man, You got it all figured out leadfoot. Yeah, tug on that Pitman Arm that may be the cause of your condition.
Why are you so hostile? I'm trying to learn about this car and you keep telling me to burn up my car, go kill myself and calling me names... Maybe my translations from Swedish are bad and I ofended you somehow. If so I am sorry.

Today I had a oportunity to test on a dry and clean road and it was not slipping that drags the car to the right. It pulls to the right when accelerating with 4WD engaged with Moderate gas. I have only had the Tahoe for about a month and had not driven it in 4WD before the snow came so I asumed it was because of slipping it pulled right. I will start of by replacing the Pitman arm and see if that does it, they are not very expensive so I'll take a chance with that.
Old December 11th, 2010, 2:25 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

You can check the idler arm (the pitman arm is connected to the steering box and shouldn't be the problem) by putting a lever under it and seeing if there's any movement by prying up and down. If there is then it needs to be replaced.
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
You can check the idler arm (the pitman arm is connected to the steering box and shouldn't be the problem) by putting a lever under it and seeing if there's any movement by prying up and down. If there is then it needs to be replaced.
Ahh yes, I meant the idler arm, the one on the right side guiding the steering linkage. Maybe I had a too small tool when testing for movement, I'll try a larger lever.