Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

The tale of the vanishing swar bar link, and how Advance Auto treats customers...

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2018, 8:06 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The tale of the vanishing swar bar link, and how Advance Auto treats customers...

Sit back and allow me to regale you of an evening of entertainment involving car maintenance. As some of you may know, but most of you are unaware, I've decided to continue ownership of my 2009 Tahoe. Sadly, for me this means wasting a set of tires and two year registration on another vehicle, because, like many people, I'm as yet, unable to predict the future. It's a burden I carry every day. I cannot be the only one. Molly the Mazda was sold the day prior, and being down to two cars for two people for the first time since 2005 was certainly an adjustment. Temporary, given our situation, but that's another story. This story begins roughly two months ago, on a cold dreary day. A wife,who shall go unnamed, procures the materials for an oil change, while a husband plans to change said oil... for the last time before trade-in. The oil turns out to be the correct type, but having not verified the filter, it was later determined unusable. So, an oil only change was ordered that day, two months ago. Not an issue, or at least, not for me... Present day, with a known double used filter installed. Time to make it right. A quick trip to wally-world supplied all the materials for an oil change and lunch, and dinner for the next week. Who doesn't appreciate that? Upon return to the domicile, lift ramps in hand, and paper towels at the ready, a sliver of circular light catches my eye. A hole. A hole in a sway bar. I look at the other side. This hole has a sway bar link in it. I look back. NO sway bar. It's vanished. Poof. Gone. Without a trace. It's gone Jimmy Hoffa on us. I also notice that the other side, it's plastic! how fun is that. Plastic for a suspension component.

I figure I'm already down here, so I complete the oil change, complete with filter this time! yay filter!

I order most of my parts from Advance online, for pickup in store. You can pretty much ALWAYS get a 20% off code.
So, I select and order two sway bar links, might as well do both while I'm down where, and if one vanished, who knows about the other.

Now, this is where it gets fun.

I arrive at Advance Auto, 5qt jug of used oil in hand. I empty said jug in the back, into their tank, saving our environment, and giving them free used oil, which they can sell. I get in line behind someone who is currently trying to barter for some money off of a $40 part. I don't mind the attempt, but I'd really just like to get on with my life. I stand patiently, waiting my turn, knowing that the person behind the counter is someone I'd rather avoid. I've had nothing but issues with this cashier at this store, but I put on my game face. I provide my phone (email) to the person, my ID, and form of payment. He goes and gets the parts. So far, so good.

He comes back, and places the boxes just out of my reach across the counter. I ask 'can I see them'. To which he mumbles something about a line and he wants to ring me up, and it's "what I ordered". It's barely 6PM on a Saturday, and there is 1 person behind me... I say.. okay... and he proceeds with the transaction. He asks me to sign the receipt, to which I state, "I'll sign it when I verify the parts". I don't think that's an unreasonable request, to verify that the thing I paid for is what I want/need. I've been burned by AA in the past, for things that can't be returned, and I'm not going to let that happen again. In the past I've always been able to touch an item before buying it. To boot, these are $14 sway bar links, and I've already provided my Name, home address, credit card, AA account, email address, AND phone number. Not to mention the dozen cameras in the store. Anyway, he then moves the boxes even farther away from me and the register in a clear step of disgust and attitude. I ask for a manager. Loudly. He looks over at who I assume was the manager. He then moves the boxes close enough for me to inspect. I inspect them, sign the receipt, and leave. 30 seconds or less. Literally, yep, "that's a sway bar link". Given my other inability of being able to see through cardboard, I was clearly at a disadvantage over this man.

I also follow up with a call to corporate the next day. Mostly because this seems constant with this person. I've never called over his behavior before, but seriously?
I don't want anyone to lose their job, but maybe retail isn't for you...

Anyway, who knows how long we've been driving the Tahoe with ONE sway-bar link.
Funny enough my 1995 did this as well. They bolt up from the bottom, so any breakage and the whole thing just falls out...
The good news is it feels a lot flatter in the turns!
Attached Thumbnails The tale of the vanishing swar bar link, and how Advance Auto treats customers...-28167646_10213619360251189_6457996187071400186_n.jpg   The tale of the vanishing swar bar link, and how Advance Auto treats customers...-28167875_10213619359931181_1147449443745314105_n.jpg   The tale of the vanishing swar bar link, and how Advance Auto treats customers...-28168027_10213619360091185_5008335838886306834_n.jpg  
Old February 26th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I heard a pretty distinctive clunking sound when mine disintegrated

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...-2007-a-74732/
Old February 26th, 2018, 1:09 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice. I didn't bother pulling the tires. I was able to get under it enough to just go in that way. Maybe I should have used lock-tite. Whoops. It appeared to be a jam nut. All the parts look the same as your setup. I went w/the in stock and inexpensive Driveworks - lifetime warranty... so I assume that covers bushings?

My first Wrangler was forever breaking sway bar links due to a ball/socket joint at the top.
Combined with a 2" lift kit, the ball would pop out off road. Then pop back in. then out. then in. Clunk Clunk. lol. After a few replacements, I went aftermarket w/a longer one...

Sometime when I'm bored this summer I'm thinking of changing the transmission fluid and maybe filter. 131,000 on it, and it's never been done. Mostly because it's a PITA...
Attached Thumbnails The tale of the vanishing swar bar link, and how Advance Auto treats customers...-unbolted-stock-jeep-sway-bar-disconnect.jpg  

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; February 26th, 2018 at 1:17 PM.
Old February 26th, 2018, 2:53 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah the nut used is a lock nut, the GM replacement procedure called out the use of lock tight so I used it.