Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Temp gauge/ Volt meter

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2006, 12:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge/ Volt meter

I recently went on a 700 mile road trip and I noted about 50 miles after leaving that the temp gauge never got to the center, which I sware was where it should be, its been there in all my other Chevys. So as I continue on, I notice it dropping at times to about 170, then back up to like 200, but never hitting 210. I also noted the Volt gauge would be going anywhere from 12 to 14 volts, but not stay on 14 volt, like I thought it always does. I stopped at a dealer along the way and they were too busy to take a look, but managed to tell me its because its cold, 55 to 60, and that is why after 200 miles, the vehicle never reached operating temp, and they said it probably has a draw causing it to drop.

I have had an on going issue with the stabilitrac system, which my local dealer thinks its a short some where, and not sure if this is related or not. On the trip the check engine light came on, but was told it was due to the Volant intake, making for MAF faults.

Any ideas?
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: Temp gauge/ Volt meter

Don't know about temp gauge but in prior posts, Dave/ZX has pointed out that the alternator doesn't charge the battery if it's not needed thereby removing a load on the engine. There's a name for that but don't recall it.
Old December 11th, 2006, 3:10 PM
CF Junior Member

My Tahoe temp gauge runs "straight up" (210ish) no matter what, once I get past warmup. I have not experienced outside temps higher than 75 but anything from 15 to 75 has the temp gauge showing the same.

I DO have the roving alternator gauge and that is normal, anywhere from 12 volts up to 14+ depending upon the draw. Now that I'm used to it I ignore it. If the alternator ever does fail I'm sure I'll drive it until the battery dies and the engine stalls, as there is not one spot where it runs all the time. I hope GM thought about putting an audible alarm on for a no-charge condition (chimes) because the gauge is not a good indicator to go by.
Old December 11th, 2006, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

LVHoe,

What problem are you having with the stabilitrak?

On my Tahoe, I get a "stabilitrak off" message on the DIC and a fast alarm "ding" tone. It happens momentarily then disappears roughly twice a day.

No codes get set and the dealer is stumped.

Right now I have a special data recording "can" connected to the computer interface to attempt to record the problem when it happens.

ZX, have you seen this before from the field?

-Jim
Old December 11th, 2006, 6:00 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Don't know about temp gauge but in prior posts, Dave/ZX has pointed out that the alternator doesn't charge the battery if it's not needed thereby removing a load on the engine. There's a name for that but don't recall it.
Regulated Voltage Control

Here's the link to that thread https://chevroletforum.com/m_5867/tm.htm
Old December 11th, 2006, 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

I took it in last Thursday and they scanned for codes, I took it in about 10 minutes after it happened and left it running, at first there was no faults, then it did it when the scanner was plugged in, I do not recall the fault codes, but they made a call and was told they need to trace some wires, as they think there is a short, Also I noted a very hard shift from first to second once the light came on, then goes away, I am planning on dropping the car off tomorrow morning, so I guess we will see what happens