Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Temperature Display Very Wrong

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2007, 8:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Temperature Display Very Wrong

I'm rather perplexed... I just hooked up the VSS wire for my nav (check the other thread) and suddenly the thermometer on the rear-view mirror is showing the temperature to be about 25 degrees colder than it should be.

Is there an easy way to recalibrate or reset this thing?? It appears that the compass is working OK, but that's about it.

I'm hoping that the VSS wire thing isn't the inadvertant cause for the thermometer problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 31st, 2007, 5:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Temperature Display Very Wrong

Anyone?? ZX???
Old January 31st, 2007, 7:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try turning the power off on the rear view mirror for a few minutes and them turn it back on. that should reset the temp and direction. as far as the vss wire goes, where did u grab the vss wire and what color is it?
Old January 31st, 2007, 7:31 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: jlenkows

I'm rather perplexed... I just hooked up the VSS wire for my nav (check the other thread) and suddenly the thermometer on the rear-view mirror is showing the temperature to be about 25 degrees colder than it should be.

Is there an easy way to recalibrate or reset this thing?? It appears that the compass is working OK, but that's about it.

I'm hoping that the VSS wire thing isn't the inadvertant cause for the thermometer problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
....yup - sounds like your VSS connector is on the wrong wire.
Old January 31st, 2007, 8:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Did you (or anyone really) know that the 2nd gree wire with a white stripe is for the mirror temperature display. And... if you connect it to the radio's VSS pin, it really screws with the temperature...

Yes. I am the consumate IDIOT!!!!!!!!

[sm=oopssign.gif]
Old January 31st, 2007, 8:16 PM
CF Active Member

Did you (or anyone really) know that the 2nd gree wire with a white stripe is for the mirror temperature display. And... if you connect it to the radio's VSS pin, it really screws with the temperature...

Yes. I am the consumate IDIOT!!!!!!!!

[sm=oopssign.gif]
No, just looking at basic cause and effect! At least now we know what the 2nd green/white wire is for!!!(assuming that it really is green/white).

I could barely see when I was working on mine & finally whipped out a magnifying glass to be sure..... However, since your radio generated a VSS error it had to be picking up something other than the expected VSS pulse - probably either a constant voltage or ground. Think of it this way - if the VSS is a pulsed signal - (probably a sine wave) no signal would equal no motion & the NAV unit would see this as a normal non-motion condition. Your NAV would then only update based upon GPS position refresh.
Old January 31st, 2007, 8:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Actually I had the programming done last week - I was impatient to say the least.

I double/triple/quadruple checked that wire that I first tapped. It is definately green with a white stripe.

It is what it is.
Old February 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similar problem when i first instlled my navigation...i tried many different wires and none of them would pick up a pulse from the vss wire so it was only tracking through satellite via the gps antenna. finally i just went and got my vss at the wheel and it work great. if u want to know the wire color let me know and i'll check it out for u.

Actually I had the programming done last week - I was impatient to say the least.

I double/triple/quadruple checked that wire that I first tapped. It is definately green with a white stripe.

It is what it is.