Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

These trucks are cursed

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2011, 5:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These trucks are cursed

I have a '98 Suburban and all I can say is it's been the most frustrating vehicle I have ever owned. I have a '94 Caprice and a '67 GMC pickup as well.

Electrical issues abound. Intake gasket failure. Premature rusting. Interior lights stay on and drain battery. Truck won't start (distributor failure). Excessive fuel consumption. Overdrive transmission engages/disengages. Excessive road noise between 40 and 50 MPH. Fuel gauge totally inaccurate at <1/4 tank (runs out of gas). A/C failure. Radio lights burn out. Headlight switch no longer illuminated. Rear view mirror temperature display suddenly fails. Metal interior driver door handle breaks off (!!) Power locks lock on their own. Interior door locks break off. Rear defrost only defrosts one of the double rear doors.

All of the above in less than a year. I know it's a '98 but my '94 wagon with the 5.7L LT1 is still running like a champ. I've only had to put a water pump in it in 6 years. I got rid of my '95 Astro to get this suburban for winter driving as I thought the Astro was starting to nickel-and-dime me (I should have kept it).

My '67-Like a rock. Ok-I know it's a lot simpler but it was designed to be simple. Radio still works, original starter (just replaced this year), original engine and drive train etc etc.

I see that a Chevrolet Customer Service representative scans the forum. I hope she takes back these issues. I ve been a loyal GM owner for many years but this '98 is killing me and based on what others on the forum are reporting, the 2009, 2010s aren't faring much better. An $800 BCM needs to be replaced???Ridiculous.
Old June 20th, 2011, 7:58 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes...?

I don't know why your complaining, do your research.
GM has not made the top 100 list for quality or reliability for the past 20 years...

This is a fact.

The 100 most reliable cars of the last decade (in order)

GM isn't on the list ONCE for a car sold in America.
Ford is on the list SEVERAL times.

East is still best for car reliability - Business - Autos - The Driver Seat - msnbc.com

Home - Car Reliability Index | Reliability Index | How reliable is your car?

Is my tahoe a sexy truck? Yes. Am I impressed with it's MPG? Yes.
Is it what I would call 'reliable' F*#$ no. I hate the thing with a passion.

Next time it's Toyota or Lexus for me.
Old June 20th, 2011, 7:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Not sure if SabrToothSqrl is agreeing with me or what.

I am a GM guy:
'77 Buick (great car/bad body), 1981 Pontiac LeMans (good car/great body), 1994 Caprice (great car), 1995 Astro (great van) 1967 GMC P/U (awesome truck). Why would the '98 'burb be so bad? Three years newer and blamo??

I'm saying GM lost their way loading up the vehicles with glitch prone sensors, control systems and gadgetry instead of sticking with simpler proven designs. This drives the cost of trucks up to "luxury car" prices without "luxury car" engineering and quality. You can put expensive lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig!

You bought a 2009 and you're saying you'd buy a Toyota/Lexus next time? Those are way out of my league.

Besides, I have to keep the parts guys employed don't I?
Old June 20th, 2011, 8:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know but my Suburban 2500 is pushing 78,000 miles , was built in mexico and has seen a dealership once so far for a warranty related item and it was an interior piece (overhead console) so i'm pretty impressed compared to the P.O.S ford Excursion with the 6.0 powerstroke which was a frequent flyer at the dealership for repairs.
Old June 20th, 2011, 8:49 PM
CF Senior Member

I am pretty happy with the 9 chevy trucks owned by me since 2001. The nbs has had few issues 07 electrical and the others trim issues (cheap chromed plastic door handles)
But all and all they did well
I will say that aside from the 01 I have not had a truck for more than 3 years or 36000 miles.