Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

THinkin about buying 96 tahoe, anything i should know?

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THinkin about buying 96 tahoe, anything i should know?

Hey all, i am probably about to buy a 96 4door4wd with 106,000 miles. i am buying it from a close friend for $4,000. the only problem that he knows of is a very slow leak in the radiator. other than that its has been babied. Are there any common problems or recalls with this vehicle. or anything i should check out? thanks alot for any help
Old March 12th, 2008, 8:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THinkin about buying 96 tahoe, anything i should know?

If it has been "babied" then most likely the intake manifold gaskets have been replaced (if not they will most likely need to be).

There is an issue with the windshield wiper motor control (which I believe there was a recall on) and the turn signal switch acting strangely (I replaced both this past year).

Note how long thelight on the 4WD switch blinks when you select 4WD. If it doesn't blink much the 4WD thermal actuator has probably been replaced but if it has not and the light blinks for several seconds, the actuator may need replaced. If it is the thermal version you will notice it takes longer to engage in cold weather. There is a TSB to replace the thermalactuator with an electrical one (which I also did this past year).

I had to make the choice this past year to put money in my 96 or buy a newer one. Since I use my Tahoe more for off road and as a bad weather vehicle than a people mover, I put the money into it to update the previously mentioned items plus replace the engine/transmission and put a locker in the rear along with a lift kit and some other stuff. I now have a blast driving through the backwoods with ease.