Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

thoughts on buying a 2006 Tahoe Z71 166k mi ?

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2019, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thoughts on buying a 2006 Tahoe Z71 166k mi ?

Hi All,

Looking for a used SUV with a 3rd row, I came across a 06 tahoe Z71, with 166k mi. Asking price is $8,900 at a dealership here in N. Cali. Carfax seem clean, 1 owner for 12+ yrs and well documented service.

With the high milage, was wondering if you guys could help me with any thoughts on this buy?

- Like what type of work would likely need to be done to get it to last at least another 100k mi.?
- Things I should consider replacing right away ?
- Price fair ?
- Should i consider a different model yr ?

any feedback is appreciated thanks!

Old August 22nd, 2019, 2:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

$8900 for this vehicle is a fair price from a dealer with a good Carfax report. I'd change the axle, transfer case and transmissions fluids unless it already been done, but lots of people let the axle oils go for too long, as if they never need changing.and lots of dealership don't change them either.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 6:24 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd have more confidence in lasting another 100k if it's the 5.3 motor, as opposed to the 4.8.

Agree with fluid changes, but I wouldn't stop at axles, t-case and transmission. I'd also change the coolant and the power steering fluid. Ounce of prevention, and all that.

It's likely the fuel pump has already been replaced, but if not, it will probably be dying soon. Listen for a whine near the fuel tank with the ignition on and engine not running.

Check the front wheel hubs/bearings. They're one-piece units, and expensive to replace.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 05 Tahoe Z71 a little below that mileage. I've been the only owner, and all service through the dealership. I've taken very good care of mine, but I would have no concerns leaving for Fairbanks, Alaska in it tomorrow. Mine is a 5.3, but it's still solid.
Old August 29th, 2019, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Did a carfax and seems like at around ~100k the following was replaced already.
- Water pump, thermostat, radiator hoses, and coolant flushed.
- heater hoses
- starter
- axel seal replaced.

So far the list of things im planning to do: (outside of the usual maintenance stuff like oil, air filter changes)
- fuel pump
- fluid changes --> For tranny fluid, is a particular brand preferred ? I'll probably spend the extra to do a flush the first time around.

Can keep this thread posted. This Sat I will check the truck out and if the tranny, engine, and no head gasket issues ill most probably buy it.
It is the 5.3L V8 + Z71.
Old August 31st, 2019, 8:16 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by intheburbs
I'd have more confidence in lasting another 100k if it's the 5.3 motor, as opposed to the 4.8.

Agree with fluid changes, but I wouldn't stop at axles, t-case and transmission. I'd also change the coolant and the power steering fluid. Ounce of prevention, and all that.

It's likely the fuel pump has already been replaced, but if not, it will probably be dying soon. Listen for a whine near the fuel tank with the ignition on and engine not running.

Check the front wheel hubs/bearings. They're one-piece units, and expensive to replace.
Might want to flush out the brake fluid too and check them out as well..
Old August 31st, 2019, 8:37 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Howie650;434300

[b
So far the list of things im planning to do: (outside of the usual maintenance stuff like oil, air filter changes)
- fuel pump
- fluid changes --> For tranny fluid, is a particular brand preferred ? I'll probably spend the extra to do a flush the first time around.[/b]

Can keep this thread posted. This Sat I will check the truck out and if the tranny, engine, and no head gasket issues ill most probably buy it.
It is the 5.3L V8 + Z71.
I use Valvoline Syncromesh fluid in my 98 K-1500 5-speed NP-3500 manual transmission and NP-241 transfer case and Valvoline Dex 6 in my15 Malibu 6T40 automatic transmission. Royal Purple 75w-90 in the axles on the 98 K-1500.
Old September 4th, 2019, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Woohoo!! Got the truck! Well not the one in the OP but I found a really good one in Southern California (From Bay Area). Flew down and took the chance and drove it back 400 mi home.
Same color and specs. Also sold from a small dealer i found though CL. I brought a Engine Block Tester with me to check for any exhaust in the coolant (read about some of the known minor castech issues ) and all was good so after a test drive and a quick check for any major signs of oil leaks, It was a done deal. The Seller had just replaced the rear engine seal, and throttle sensor. In addition, per the carfax the water pump, hoses, ts, and starter was already replaced recently.

I found this really cool video series on Youtube, def worth checking out :

My next mission is to get some new shocks, tires, and do a full tune up. Then change out the stereo, and get one with carplay+ bkup camera.
Old September 4th, 2019, 5:37 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Howie650
Woohoo!! Got the truck! Well not the one in the OP but I found a really good one in Southern California (From Bay Area). Flew down and took the chance and drove it back 400 mi home.
Same color and specs. Also sold from a small dealer i found though CL. I brought a Engine Block Tester with me to check for any exhaust in the coolant (read about some of the known minor castech issues ) and all was good so after a test drive and a quick check for any major signs of oil leaks, It was a done deal. The Seller had just replaced the rear engine seal, and throttle sensor. In addition, per the carfax the water pump, hoses, ts, and starter was already replaced recently.

I found this really cool video series on Youtube, def worth checking out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Y8...hfDa5Y11SdZutc

My next mission is to get some new shocks, tires, and do a full tune up. Then change out the stereo, and get one with carplay+ bkup camera.
Good deal!!! I bought my Chevrolet Malibu at a dealership 90 miles from where I live. Saved 3000-4000 dollars and had the 2.5 liter non-turbo motor I wanted.