Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:03 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Throttle position sensor

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2013, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle position sensor

Here we go again! I got a letter on my 08 Suburban saying GM to cover repairs associated with problems with throttle position sensor resulting in reduced power, and Engine Reduced Power msg to illuminate. This is exactly what just occurred and in fact left my vehic disabled with my wife and kid stranded. I got it started and took directly to XXXXXX Chevrolet here. They know about the letter and asked if we experienced the ERP msg (yes) and diagnosed the prob. I just spent $450 on sensors a month ago btw. He came back and said the P2135 code was NOT covered but to fix the prob would be a $500 throttle body. So I had to ask, if you replace the throttle body, wouldn't you inadvertently replace the throttle position sensor too? He said yep! So I said how can you charge me to replace something that's "not covered" that also takes care of a covered part? He said, "I know, it's crazy but it's the code that makes the difference". Someone explain to me how the throttle position sensor is covered, but the throttle body is not, yet it caused the exact same symptom on my vehicle to occur? Then someone explain to me again why I should ever buy another GM product!!??
Old February 22nd, 2013, 8:39 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They were lying to you p2135 and reduced engine light are the exact symptoms for the code. Here is a copy of the service bulletin however if you have over 100,000 or past 5 years I do not think your covered.

Bulletin No.: 11-06-04-007B

Date: April 16, 2012

Subject: Diagnosis and Repair - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Reduced Engine Power Message Displayed, DTC P2135 Set

Models:
2008-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2009-2011 Cadillac Escalade Two-Mode Hybrid
2008-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2008-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Colorado, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2008-2011 Chevrolet Tahoe Two-Mode Hybrid
2009-2011 Chevrolet Silverado Two-Mode Hybrid
2008-2009 GMC Envoy
2008-2011 GMC Canyon, Savana, Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali
2008-2011 GMC Yukon Two-Mode Hybrid
2009-2011 GMC Sierra Two-Mode Hybrid
2008-2009 HUMMER H2
2008-2010 HUMMER H3
Equipped with Engine RPO LFA, LY2, L20, LMG, LC9, LH6, LMF, LH8, LH9, L76, LS2, LY5, LY6, L92, L96, LZ1, L94 or L9H

Attention:
If a vehicle is encountered with this condition, DO NOT replace the throttle body. Instead follow this procedure below. Model Year 2008-2010 vehicles MUST have the engine control module (ECM) reprogrammed with the latest software calibration as indicated in Step 35 of the procedure AFTER the installation of the throttle position (TP) sensor cover. Model Year 2011 vehicles DO NOT need to have the ECM reprogrammed.
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to add California Emission Coverage to the Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 11-06-04-007A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition

Some customers may comment on an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), with a Reduced Engine Power message displayed.

The technician may observe on a scan tool DTC P2135: Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation set as Current or in History.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the difference between the TP Sensor 1 and TP Sensor 2 exceeding a calibrated value for more than 2 seconds.

Part Information

Important
The initial inventory for P/N 19259452 (Sensor Kit) will be distributed via RIM through a special stocking policy. The dealership parts department personnel will need to approve the stocking policy in order to receive the initial shipment. Subsequent replenishment will also be via RIM. If the parts department is out of inventory of P/N 19259452 (Sensor Kit), then to complete the repair utilize the throttle body assembly.

Warranty Information

- For 2008-2009 vehicles repaired under the 5 year/100,000 mile (160,000 km) Powertrain Coverage (Code P) warranty, use:
- For 2010-2011 Cadillac vehicles repaired under the 4 year/50,000 mile (80,000 km) Bumper-to-Bumper warranty (in Canada, Base Warranty Coverage), use:
- For 2010-2011 Chevrolet, GMC or HUMMER vehicles repaired under the 3 year/36,000 mile (60,000 km) Bumper-to-Bumper warranty (in Canada, Base Warranty Coverage), use:

- For 2010-2011 Chevrolet, GMC or HUMMER vehicles repaired under the 3 year/50,000 mile (80,000 km) California Emission Coverage (Code E) warranty, use:
Old February 22nd, 2013, 8:41 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a second TSB that includes p2138
Old February 23rd, 2013, 8:26 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

[QUOTE=budfox;241435]Someone explain to me how the throttle position sensor is covered, but the throttle body is not, yet it caused the exact same symptom on my vehicle.[QUOTE]

I would suspect its because the throttle body gets physical wear from air carrying very tiny amounts of dirt that wear down the bore and plate over time.. The sensor does move but is not subject to the same wears....
Old February 23rd, 2013, 9:30 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by budfox
Here we go again! I got a letter on my 08 Suburban saying GM to cover repairs associated with problems with throttle position sensor resulting in reduced power, and Engine Reduced Power msg to illuminate. This is exactly what just occurred and in fact left my vehic disabled with my wife and kid stranded. I got it started and took directly to XXXXXX Chevrolet here. They know about the letter and asked if we experienced the ERP msg (yes) and diagnosed the prob. I just spent $450 on sensors a month ago btw. He came back and said the P2135 code was NOT covered but to fix the prob would be a $500 throttle body. So I had to ask, if you replace the throttle body, wouldn't you inadvertently replace the throttle position sensor too? He said yep! So I said how can you charge me to replace something that's "not covered" that also takes care of a covered part? He said, "I know, it's crazy but it's the code that makes the difference". Someone explain to me how the throttle position sensor is covered, but the throttle body is not, yet it caused the exact same symptom on my vehicle to occur? Then someone explain to me again why I should ever buy another GM product!!??

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> budfox,

Would you please PM me your VIN, so I can look into this further for you?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old February 23rd, 2013, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Louis, I don't know how to PM but I'm gonna try. I'll get the vin number to you somehow today. Thanks, Lee

PS - I figured it out, hopefully you got the msg, thanks.

Last edited by budfox; February 23rd, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old February 25th, 2013, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

I understand the bs in the tsb, but it didn't come in the letter I got. My letter from GM simply says if you're experiencing this...we will cover the repair up to 120k miles...period. The dealer won't honor the notice, and I'm out $$, and the GM customer service supervisor basically said TS. What "coverage" from GM are we to believe in. How honorable. Like I said, probably a LONG TIME before I buy another GM product.
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Throttle Body Replaced

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado New Body Style. Check Engine Light came on and I replaced the throttle body/sensor. The light turned off for a few days and came back on. I then switched it out and the light is still on. The code at Autozone is still reading throttle body sensor. What else should I check or could this be. Thanks for any help.
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

2007Wrobo
Welcome to the forum,
what exactly is the code(s) you are getting? the code(s) may not always pin point the exact cause but the most likely cause....
Old January 14th, 2015, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
2007Wrobo
Welcome to the forum,
what exactly is the code(s) you are getting? the code(s) may not always pin point the exact cause but the most likely cause....
Well, checked the code again and what do you know, the oil pressure sensor is out. Zero pressure. Truck runs fine. Back to back sensors Went out in 15 days. Wow.

Quick Reply: Throttle position sensor