Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Tips for Oil Change Needed.

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2007, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for Oil Change Needed.

Coming up on my first oil change in our '07 Tahoe 5.3L. Just looking for suggestions on how best to do it, i.e:
- best way to get to the oil filter;
- jack points / ramps
- best drain pan
- etc.
- other tips & tricks.

Thanks!!!!
Old October 19th, 2007, 4:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tips for Oil Change Needed.

You'll need a strap wrench to get the oil filter off. Then, replace it with a K&N oil filter to make future oil changes easier. The K&N oil filter has a 1" nut welded to the end of the filter. Otherwise, you'll spend hours with the best strap wrench, trying to get that oil filter off (like I did). I've used K&N oil filters on all my cars for years and was very annoyed at the way GM placed the filter on my '07 Tahoe.

Drain pan: If you can recycle your oil at the local auto parts store, get one that doubles as a carrier to go dump the oil. They sell themat most auto parts stores.

jack points/ramps: heh...I don't have to jack my Tahoe up to get underneath for an oil change, but follow the recommendation in the owners manual. I don't trust ramps anymore.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

I used a jack the first time and switched back to ramps. Jack stands just got in the way and the cross member didn't seem to like it.

On the filter, I use a molded cup that fits over the end of the filter and it has a 3/8" drive fitting. Works great. You just have to get one that fits the filter you use. I use AC PF48s.

I use one of those big, black plastic enclosed drain pans that has a pour spout. Put used oil in gallon jugs and take it up the street to a auto parts place that takes it.
Old October 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

quick lube and 30 bucks
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
CF Senior Member

I send her to the dealer and spend the $30.00. They only take 30 minutes to do the job.

Even if I bought an oil filter ($8.00) and 6 quarts of oil ($2.00 each, $12.00) I would only save $10.00.

Sending it to the dealer will give you better resale value as all the repairs/maintenance have been documented.
Old October 20th, 2007, 8:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Summit
GM does have a website where owners can type in therepairs/scheduled maintenance that hasnot been performed by the dealership. This repair history is displayed along with dealer or warranty work to the vehicle.
Big D
Old October 20th, 2007, 9:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Would you trust it if you were the one buying that truck/car?

What I mean is I would rather trust the dealer showing me there history on a vehicle, then one an owner of the vehicle would document.
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM
CF Active Member

with new vehicles and the full warranties, you are better off hittin the dealer for basics like oil change than doin it yourself.

why??

if you have issues in the future, there is a ready made maintenace record they can not dispute.
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:37 PM
CF Junior Member

the web page is to complement receipts for all repairs or scheduled maintenance performed by the owner. I, personally, like to service my vehicles and motorcycles. I prepare a binder and put the window sticker and all receipts for work done in chronological order, detailing mileage, date and services performed. Of course, I am only referring to oil, air, and filter changes. Along with making sure all other scheduled maintenance items are inspected as outlined by the owner's manual. All technical work is always done by the dealer... no independent shops (that includes my motorcycles). I have had less than stellar results from oil change personnel atdealerships. When i change my oil, I know it is getting Mobil 1 and K&N oil filter (I like to coat my oil plug with teflon paste and prefill my oil filter -not over torque these) Can you be sure the 8.00 per hour oil change person cares about that? I also service my car without getting oily hand and foot prints on the seats or carpets. Sure they put plastic etc... but do you think the oil guy cares (again he is getting paid very little and consequently will care very little - don't blame him - he has a lot of cars to service etc.) Nothing wrong with dealer work... When a new buyer see the vehicle in pristine condition and all service records in order in a binder they are sold....(that includes trade-ins)
Old October 23rd, 2007, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

What is the part number for the k n oil filter? WHere can i buy it at?
ORIGINAL: haidangwa

You'll need a strap wrench to get the oil filter off. Then, replace it with a K&N oil filter to make future oil changes easier. The K&N oil filter has a 1" nut welded to the end of the filter. Otherwise, you'll spend hours with the best strap wrench, trying to get that oil filter off (like I did). I've used K&N oil filters on all my cars for years and was very annoyed at the way GM placed the filter on my '07 Tahoe.

Drain pan: If you can recycle your oil at the local auto parts store, get one that doubles as a carrier to go dump the oil. They sell themat most auto parts stores.

jack points/ramps: heh...I don't have to jack my Tahoe up to get underneath for an oil change, but follow the recommendation in the owners manual. I don't trust ramps anymore.

Quick Reply: Tips for Oil Change Needed.