Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Tire feathering

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2007, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire feathering

Thanks for the response. I figured the feathering was normal. When they started telling me that it is due to the soft nature of the tires and this model of vehicle I started thinking they were telling me soem BS. Unfortunately I may be screwed on the alignment since I'm just over 9,000 now. Although in the last service they said they checked the alignment and the tech that I talked to said he didn't get a chance to check the alignment.
Old June 20th, 2007, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TahoeG8R07 -

What ZX is stating makes since I would agree with it for the most part, in terms of average out the best alignment set up for the safest or best handling characteristics. This is done on most, if not all cars. However, and again... this is just my personal experience, it would be a first to see intentional improper tire wear in trade for this best handling.

Sports cars... sure. Some of them have quite a bit of negative camber to achieve best handling. SUV's and pick-ups, there is no reason why they wouldn't set it up to achieve a tire wear pattern that would result in longevity.

I've got a buddy with 30K on his 07 and the tires are wearing perfect. I called a chevy dealership that I know has a service manager that I can actually trust (I know.. this goes against what I said earlier... but I will stick to my guns that most SM's are not that knowledgable) and he mentioned to me that he has yet to see an 07 come in with alignment problems (outside of someone physically causing the problem).

Between us on this forum, and even more so between those included in this particular discussion, we represent a very limited amount of Tahoe owners. Cars are not perfect and some of us will experience problems that the respective local maintenance/repair folks can't seem to explain or figure out. I guess I just want to point out to us all, or remind everyonethat just because a few people with the same vehicle are having similar issues doesn't mean that this is "normal" for the vehicle.

Overall, my point here is feathering on the outside edge of a tire is not and should not be considered normal wear. Well... let me say this. The6 company cars (several different makes, models)that I've had and have put roughly 60K a year on have not experienced this. The 10 other personal vehicles I've owned, 3 races cars and4 off-road trail rigs have not experienced this problem... unless there was an alignment issue.

ZX - don't mean to challenge or even come across as being argumentative. It's hard to really show expression with words only. So, if you and anyone else reading this would... please take my words as just normal, friendly conversation. [sm=smiley4.gif]
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Dano and ZX,
I appreciate both of you commenting and your input. I respect what you've said and will see what I can get the dealer to do. At the very least, now I can speak in terms so that I sound like I know what the hell I'm talking about. This service department has been pretty honest with me to this point, but I don't really want to get screwed and have to buy a set of tires every 12,000 miles. Do either of you have any suggestions about what I might have them check out besides the alignment?

Thanks
Old June 20th, 2007, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Man... I really don't know beyond alignment what it might be, other than something actually knocked out of whack or bent. I've seen tie rods, control arms, etc bent due to the transport people attaching the tie-down hooks to these points. Those guys are usually pretty good about not securing the vehicles at weak points, but you never know! Just a thought!

Good luck... keep us informed!
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Recommend that if you do get alignment, get a copy of the printout of the before and after readings. Then see how close to nominal they are before and after. Some alignment guys just like to get within the +/- and quit while others will work a little extra and try to get it close to nominal. If you can find one in the latter class, treat him right and buy some donuts.
Old June 21st, 2007, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Recommend that if you do get alignment, get a copy of the printout of the before and after readings. Then see how close to nominal they are before and after. Some alignment guys just like to get within the +/- and quit while others will work a little extra and try to get it close to nominal. If you can find one in the latter class, treat him right and buy some donuts.
x2
Old July 21st, 2007, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Hi guys. Sorry for bringing this thread out of grave, but I'm the new one here and I've got a small problem. I will try to make myself as clear as possiblebut you have to beforgiving causemy English is not very good.
I'm from Poland and recently became a "lucky" owner of a '96 Tahoe. I need to do a wheel alignment and this is where the problem starts. This car was shipped from US becauseyou can't getone from dealer in Poland. That's why when I went to Chevy dealer looking for a help I've been told that they don't have any details, figures, specs you name it to do the job and they can't help me at all! My friend is an american car freak and he's got a car service station but he couldn't help as well. He said he needs "the settings figures" to do the adjustments. He couldn't find the figures for Tahoe in his big wise books.
So I started to look for any kind of information on the web and that's how I get here. I've searched all topics on this forum but it seems there isno details aboutwheel alignment. Could you guys help me?
Thanks
Old July 21st, 2007, 5:53 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your 1996 Tahoe a 2 or 4 Wheel Drive?
Old July 23rd, 2007, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

It's 4 wheel drive. And I found a misprint - it's 1995 not '96. Sorry
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Caster: 1.0 - 4.0 Preferred 3.0

Camber: 0 - 1.65 Preferred 0.65

Toe: 0.04 - 0.44 Preferred 0.24