Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire Pressure TPMS issue! Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2008, 4:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Pressure TPMS issue! Anyone else?

I was rotating my tires the other night, just like I have many times. After I was done I went to reprogram the TPMS. I pushed the DIC checkmark and received the double honk. I then immediately went to the front left tire and let out air. It normally takes 5-10 seconds, however it was NOT going to give me the confirmation honk. So I inflated the tire and started over. Same thing happened. Finally on about the 5th try i got the front left tire to finally honk. I moved on the front passenger side tire and never got a honk, when all of the sudden it double honked (keep in mind I was only on my second tire) which normally confirms the process is complete.

So i go to check my dash and sure enough it has the orange/yellow dash light and says service tire monitoring system.

So I take it to the dealer. I tell them about the situation and the problem, they tell me that is because they have to use their tool to reprogram tires after they are rotated or moved. I said, no no no, you can do this manually through the DIC, i have done it 20 times. They both looked at me dumbfounded and then said, I always wondered why we dont receive more service calls about getting their system reprogrammed. GEEEEESSSSHHH people, these vehicles have been out 2+ years and I a sure that there are other models prior that can be programmed the same way.

Anyways, they used their tool and it did work. However, I am now worried that my next attempt will leave me in the same boat. I dont want to take it to the dealer each time i rotate or change my wheels out. Anyone had a similar issue? Anyone know the reason and a cure for the infection?
Old April 24th, 2008, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire Pressure TPMS issue! Anyone else?

Can you guys tell me the process for doing this yourself? I would like to try and see if I can do it before going to the dealer...

Old April 24th, 2008, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

read your manueal it tells you howto do it..if i were you big i wouldnt go back to that dealer sounds like they dont know what theyre doing at all im thinking it might be because you reinflated the tire as it was trying to save its new settings that might have made it freak out
Old April 24th, 2008, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Wow...Thanks. Can't believe I didn't think of that!!
Old April 24th, 2008, 8:36 PM
CF Veteran

If you have the new black stems you probably won't have any luck. As soon as I got those (had to be replaced under warranty) I lost the ability to reprogram myself. A ton of people are complaining that they can't either. HAS TO BE AN EQUIPMENT ISSUE!!!
Old April 24th, 2008, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

I tried doing it myself after i switched from the 17's to the 20's, but couldn't getthem to learn. I was losing too much air so I stopped trying. I took it to the guys at Firestone, but the guy there weren't too experienced with the Tahoe sensors I guess. He got them to learn with his device thingy, but my pressures were never set to match. I've been riding on two reading 39psi while one reads 34psi and the other 36psi.I've been kind of busy and haven't had a chance to get to the dealership.

Not to change the subject or anything, but does going from the 17s to the 20s affect my spedometer? If am I really going faster or slower than what it reads? Been kinda worried at school speedlimits. Does the dealership have to adjust that? The guy at Firestone said that he couldn't do it because GM had to approve it or something.
Old April 24th, 2008, 9:45 PM
CF Addict

Tahoe07,
Thanks for the response. I bet that might be the issue. These are the rubber valves. They acted like I was crazy when I went in there. How do they now know that the vehicle will relearn with the DIC and about 5psi of air? Next time I rotate I will let you guys know what happens. I just wanted to see if this was a common issue. Thanks for the responses.

Plopez, I dont know what tire sizes you are running but there may be a difference. Do a google search for tire calculator. ONce you find a site compare your two tire sizes and see what the overall differences are. Most will tell you the speedo and odometer difference.
Old April 24th, 2008, 9:47 PM
CF Active Member

I think it has been a mixed-bag for the folks on this forum. Some have no problems re-programming and others have to take to the dealer. I have the black stemmed TPMS and have had no trouble re-programming them.

Plopez - going from 17s to 20s does affect your speedo (by one percent)and traction control. You have to have the dealer re-program your BCM to recognize you're pushing 20s.
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I've heard that the ABS is also affected.
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:11 PM
CF Addict

Shark,
I assume that was in reply to Mary's comment, not my post? If so elaborate please!

Anyways, Mary is somewhat correct. It is possible that your wheel difference is off 1%, however at the same time it is possible it is 100% identical, or 10% off. It all depends on the tire size.

Now, as for the reporgramming that is a for sure thing. The wheel size has a lot to do with your vehicle. This includes the ABS, speedo, odo, transmission, handling, etc. GM has a program for 20's and 22's. I believe it runs around $50 depending on dealer and location to get your vehicle programed to 20's, I would for sure do it.

As for wanting to know the speedo and odo difference do the google search I mentioned earlier and enter the 17" tire size and thed 20" tire size.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure TPMS issue! Anyone else?