Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire Pressure vs Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure vs Ride Quality

Does anyone adjust their tire pressure to improve the ride quality of their 07 Tahoe. For example when rolling with the tire pressure at 34psi in each tire the ride is stiffer - so much sothat I can hear rattlling when driving over semi-smooth pavement. I reduced the psi to 33 and there was a noticable difference. Am I just hearing things or has anyone else experienced this. It's OK if you call me weird or crazy.
Old August 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tire Pressure vs Ride Quality

If ride quality is your goal then set your tire pressure to the "Tire and Loading Information" placard that is located inside the driver door jamb.
The spec is normally 30 - 32psi.

You have overly sensitive glands though if you can tell that much difference in a 1psi variance.

Old August 8th, 2007, 11:32 AM
CF Junior Member

LOL @ "overly sensitive glands"!
Old August 8th, 2007, 1:26 PM
CF Active Member

LOL! Hey, just call me weird. My wife keeps telling me that I'm different - so what the heck! :-)
Old August 8th, 2007, 1:56 PM
CF Active Member

so 30-32psig is ok?? My sensor is telling me each is at 34-35psig. But I assume lower tire pressure will equate to worse gas mileage...which at right at 1000 miles I am getting a whopping 11.2mpg (100% city driving 7 miles to and from work and maybe a couple extra miles in the evening) even when I drive soft....
Old August 8th, 2007, 3:16 PM
CF Active Member

MCF34 - I am looking more for a softer / smoother ride with less emphasis on gas mileage so your current tire psi might be right for you in terms of gas mileage vs smooth ride.
Old August 8th, 2007, 3:21 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Never exceed the specified by tire pressure on the placard by more then 10%.
If your placard recommends 30psi for instance then never go over 33psi on a cold tire.

Fuel economy should not be effected so long as you keep at least 30psi in the tires, it is when the tires are run at low pressures that economy suffers.

AAH, I like your sense of humor.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:05 AM
CF Active Member

ZX1100F1 - I try not to take myself too seriously. My life is rich (Problems or no problems.), compared to a lot of other people. Thanks for the PSI info - set my psi to 30/cold and all is fine.
Old August 9th, 2007, 3:09 PM
CF Active Member

I'm dropping mine down to 32psi tonight from 37...I want a smooth ride, just didn't want to kill my fuel economy even more....but what is really cold with the air temp. in Houston hovering around 100 deg F...hehehe..
Old August 9th, 2007, 3:11 PM
CF Active Member

Tire pressure is extremely important not only from a fuel economy perspective, but also from the wear and tear of a improperly inflated tire. In Canada we have wide ranging temperatures...plus 30C in summer, and -30C in winter. With each change in 10C the tire pressure will change by 1-2 psi. A second consideration is that underinflated tires will cause heating to occur in the sidewalls which can cause a tire to blow out. This can not only be a life threatening hazard, but can impose considerable amount of damage to a vehicle. Conversely, over inflated tires will cause the tire to wear through the center and will result in replacing tires more frequently than specified. If there is enhanced wear through the middle of a tire, or on the outside walls, manufacturers will not provide warranty.
Based on such, checking tire pressure on a regular basis will be import for the longevity of a tire, fuel economy, and the continued safety of yourself and any passengers (and other persons). I check my tires every time I fill as my gas station has an air hose. If that is too frequent for most, then at least check before heading on a road trip of any distance.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure vs Ride Quality