Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tires and Wheels question Suburban 2500

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2011, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and Wheels question Suburban 2500

First off, I just want to say that this forum is great. I just signed up recently and there is a lot of great info.

I just purchased a used suburban 2500 and I am trying to figure out what I am going to do about my wheels. I would like to put on 20" wheels, but I have no idea on the tires. The info I got at one place said I should be putting 10 ply tires and they run about 190.00 each, not including mounting and balancing. Any ideas from people with 2500's on what tires would be good? I dont want off road, but I also dont want to sacrifice ride comfort. Will I notice a big difference with the ride if I put 20's on?

One other question I have is if anyone has installed an aftermarket overhead DVD and what brand would you recommend. I was looking at the Alpine, it runs 699.00 plus 150.00 for installation.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Bigger wheels will affect your ride. Really no way around that. They will also affect your mileage. They will also likely have wider tires on them that will probably hydroplane easier.

As far as what you can do, hit the local tire shop, or Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels for more info.
My help won't be good for a lot, but you can run the same tires as a 2500 Silverado. There's tons of those running around on 20's. Another thought is that if you don't use your rig for anything heavy, you could use a C or D range tire. (6-8 ply). I wouldn't ever recommend it, as it would limit what your Suburban can haul. If you forgot that you had girly tires and hauled something heavy, you could have a safety issue.

You have a 3/4 ton truck. Good tires aren't cheap, and when join the 20" club, the price only goes up. I'd be surprised if you get out the door for much under $1200 for a decent set of tires. Then you still need to buy wheels!
Old April 17th, 2011, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response. When I go on the wheel calculators, I think Tire Rack did it as well, it only says I can put 16" wheels.....which I know I can go bigger. I do have a travel trailer that I tow, so I am going to stick with the 10-ply. I looked at the Michelin LTX A/T2. They are pricey though. I also might go with the Nitto Dura Grapplers. Do you or anyone else know if I go with a 285/60 R20, is it going to have plenty of clearance? My 07 is 4WD.

Thanks!
Dave
Old April 21st, 2011, 1:17 AM
CF Beginner

Anyone with experience putting 20" wheels on their 2500??