Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Suburban 2500 Need help picking 20" wheels/tires

Old March 23rd, 2013, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Suburban 2500 Need help picking 20" wheels/tires

Hey guys I just picked up a 2007 Suburban 2500. I'd like to get some 20" wheels for it, right now it has stock 17's. I don't want the lowered street car kinda look, I'm more about the monster truck thing. I could lift the truck but I'd rather not I tow a 26' trailer and do a ton of highway miles. Any advice on wheel offset and tires size? Are 275/65/20 going to rub? It's hard because most of these wheel sites don't show wheel/tire combo's for the 2500.

Thanks!
Old March 23rd, 2013, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

I would call Tirerack and speak with one of their people in sales. I am sure that they will be able to provide you with a package that will suit your needs. Their site will also provide you with some ideas. Select the 1500, if you decide to look at 20" tires, so that you can view them on your vehicle. Their site does not display larger sizes for the 2500.

They should be able to tell you what will fit and the proper offset.

Good luck with your new truck.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 6:38 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Stock 20" are +31mm offset.
Old March 24th, 2013, 1:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do decide to go with other (not OEM) 20's, there's probably a width and profile available, which will keep you at/close your original diameter.

Now take this "with a grain of salt"...
If you provide an aftermarket wheel manufacturer with your exact vehicle year-model, and they say that the Wheel they recommend will work on your Burb. That "should be" be their guarantee that the offset WILL be appropriate for it, and there won't be any rubbing.

PS:
What does the sticker on your driver's door say that the OEM tire size is ?

Last edited by SWHouston; March 24th, 2013 at 1:17 PM.
Old March 25th, 2013, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Ok I did some kicking around. Tire Rack says I "should" be able to fit 275/60 R20 on the truck without any issues. Now, since I'm towing, I would like to put LT tires on the rear to better handle the heavy tongue load (around 800lbs). BFG Rugged Terrain tires look great, and come in a 275/60 AND a 275/65 LT. I am considering lifting the truck a bit to get the clearance, but any advice at all is appreciated. Mechanically I'm unstoppable, there isn't much I can't do, but I am completely ignorant to the lift kit thing, it's been 22 years since I lifted a truck. I was looking on ebay and I found this:

Forged Torsion Key Lift Kit Front 1 3" Cast Rear 2" Block U Bolt 4x2 2WD 4x4 4WD | eBay

So what say the experts? Should I lift it, and if so how much? I spend 2-4 days a month towing, so is it worth it to raise the rear up to offset the drop when I tow? I was also considering helper springs but I have yet to test this thing with a fully loaded trailer.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
Old March 26th, 2013, 2:17 AM
Super Moderator

The 275/60's are 33" tall, and will handle 2365 lbs.
The 275/65's are 34.1 tall, and will handle 3750 lbs. (Load range E)

If you can/are willing to deal with the 34" height, the 65's are a much more capable tire. Remember, your Vehicle, some cargo, you, Fuel and the Hitch Load is probably going to put the vehicles gross weight at around 6500+ lbs. (close or + to it's rated weight)

You also said "put them on the rear".
You should have the same size tire on all four wheels. There's several things where the computer is concerned, which demand this.

As far as the lift...
I'm not sure if you're considering this to accommodate larger tires, or for appearance sake ? Most Trailers design the Ball Height at about 18". You can of course accommodate that by an offset hitch, but remember, our rigs are pretty top heavy anyway. I would recommend that you wait on the Lift, and see how things work as they are. The rig will handle MUCH better, when the Vehicle and Trailer are both level.

IOW:
Use Auto Level or spring helpers to level your Burb when loaded, then
Use an appropriate offset Hitch, to level the Trailer.
They don't have to be the same height, just individually level.

Last edited by SWHouston; March 26th, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old March 26th, 2013, 2:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Are you using a load leveling hitch?
I pull a 6500lbs TT with a tongue weight at 600lbs and two 130lbs dogs in the rear and the 1500 suburban rides nice and level with the load leveling hitch. So I would think with a 2500 and a leveling hich you should not drop that much. I do know when we are loaded the suburbans ride leveling compressor has to run for about 30-40 seconds to help things out.
Old March 26th, 2013, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have a top of the line load leveling hitch, and I can't remember the name of the thing right now. Anyway, I've been towing the trailer for a year with my Escalade, with no issues other than sway above 65mph due to the short wheelbase. The LT tires would be nice, but if it came to lifting the truck beyond the easy 3" I could get with the leveling kit/leaf then it's just not worth it. The 60's have plenty of load capacity for the weight, but I'd rather get that LT where I can pump 70 lbs into it when towing. The 2500 does not have a load leveling compressor, and I'm happy it doesn't! Went through 3 in a year on my Escalade, once those airbags get old the moisture in the system kills the compressors. Once I check this thing loaded up, I'll decide if I want to put helper springs or airbags in the rear. Here's a shot of the truck as is, running just about 32" diameter tires:

Name:  2013-03-22_18-18-53_446.jpg
Views: 15741
Size:  111.8 KB

And here is the look I want, hell I may just copy this thing exactly. This guy has a 4" lift:

Name:  P1000837.jpg
Views: 35836
Size:  121.3 KB
Old March 26th, 2013, 4:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Good looking truck I wish I had those mirrors on mine. I think the load leveler will keep it from dropping at all. I pull this same trailer with my F250 and it doesn't squat an inch. Have you looked at the Nittos? the terra grapplers are a nice tire. If you are getting black wheels the Mud Grapplers are pretty cool they make the wheel look bigger than it actually is, there is a fake wheel rim in the side wall of the tire. you would have to see it in person to know what I am talking about. My brother has them on his 4runner, they are loud but look cool as he!!. Face it once you start lifting a truck and putting oversized tires on it you are now into the looks over function anyway.
Old March 27th, 2013, 2:49 AM
Super Moderator

The rule of thumb is, that any two of your Tires, are capable of handling >90% of the (fully loaded) Gross Weight of your vehicle.
The 275/65's will, the 275/60's won't. You are wise in selecting the 65/LT's.

This formulae is like an Insurance Policy, a Spare Tire, or carrying an extra Can of Fuel. You may not need it most times, BUT, when you do, ya got it !

Last edited by SWHouston; March 27th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 Suburban 2500 Need help picking 20" wheels/tires