Tow / Haul button does not work .. 2001 Suburban - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums
Sponsored by: Nitto Tire
Sponsored by: Nitto Tire

Tow / Haul button does not work .. 2001 Suburban

CF Beginner

May 19th, 2017, 9:04 AM   #1  
Tow / Haul button does not work .. 2001 Suburban

This is my 2nd post .. I'm burning it up!

Question .. I had my transmission rebuilt a couple of years ago and when I picked it up from the shop, after a few days, I noticed the tow/haul button on the shifter didn't work. I called the shop and the guy was sort of a douche about the whole thing so I didn't want to deal with this guy any longer, plus I had nothing to two or haul any longer since I sold my trailer. .. Cut to today, I am trying to fix the little things to get it back up to snuff .. Does anyone know why this might not be working? Do I have to take it back to a shop? Maybe some wires or a switch or fuse was left not reconnected, or some oddball thing like that.

Any help or opinions on what I should do, not on the douche shop owner? Thanks!

Thx!
Jason

CF Monarch

May 19th, 2017, 9:16 AM   #2  
it has nothing to do with the trans work. shop owners are tired of hearing...ever since my insert part name was worked on, my insert unrelated part name is broken.

If the button is built into the shift lever; remove the steering column trim. the wiring that runs from the column shifter commonly breaks. inspect the wiring. the fix is to repair the wiring or get new parts...which is a new shifter assembly.

Last edited by tech2; May 19th, 2017 at 9:18 AM.

CF Beginner

May 19th, 2017, 9:51 AM   #3  
Thank you for your help.

Why do you think then it happened just after the trans was rebuilt? Would the shop have had to do anything with the tow/haul function? Or maybe it is just a coincidence?

I will check this weekend .. Thanks!!!!

Jason

CF Monarch

May 19th, 2017, 7:38 PM   #4  
the trans and the tow haul switch are not related. they wouldn't go near the switch to replace the trans.
The switch is an input to the tcm/pcm. the tcm/pcm sees the input and then makes shift schedule programming changes.

its a 16 year old truck. you are already twice over its life expectancy. old stuff breaks

CF Beginner

May 21st, 2017, 10:29 AM   #5  
Yea, and things are going out here and there. Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: