Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tow Vehicle Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2015, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tow Vehicle Recommendations

Hi all. I'm trying to learn about towing. In a nutshell: I'd like to be able to tow my Jeep Wrangler on a car carrier trailer to various destinations. Some fellow Jeepers pointed me to the Tahoe.

I've found a few 2007 models I'm interested in. I've referenced the information from this PDF.

I'm trying to find information on the differences. Does a Tahoe with a "tow package" mean the Tahoe has a 4.10:1 axle ratio as opposed to a 3.73:1 ratio?
Old December 17th, 2015, 5:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tahoes are great vehicles.
You can find both 1/2 and 3/4 ton versions, thru 2014.
Both the Tahoe and Suburban are available in 4WD versions.
The difference between a Tahoe and Suburban is basically cargo volume.
The trailer and vehicle mentioned are very likely to be of acceptable total weight for even the lightest rated GTW (gross towing weight). That being about 7000 lbs.
A 1/2 ton rating on a truck (Tahoe and Suburban are actually Trucks) is 1000 lbs.
A 3/4 ton rating is 1500 lbs.
The above ratings mean that the rating is as much total weight that you can add to the vehicle. That includes you, passengers, fuel and cargo (luggage/stuff in the back) and the weight placed on the Trailer Hitch by the Trailer.
Most all flat bed and Toy Trailers will have 10% of their weight on the tongue.
Most all Travel Trailers will have 15% there.

It's difficult to discuss Axel Ratios given that there are so many variables.
Engine, transmission and other added packages can vary the ratios considerably.

Now, only you know what you'll need on your trips...
Is a 1/2 Tahoe enough to get it there, or, will you need a 3/4, or, should you be thinking about getting a Suburban in either weight rating ?

Last edited by SWHouston; December 17th, 2015 at 5:17 AM.
Old December 17th, 2015, 9:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffreybomb
Hi all. I'm trying to learn about towing. In a nutshell: I'd like to be able to tow my Jeep Wrangler on a car carrier trailer to various destinations. Some fellow Jeepers pointed me to the Tahoe.

I've found a few 2007 models I'm interested in. I've referenced the information from this PDF.

I'm trying to find information on the differences. Does a Tahoe with a "tow package" mean the Tahoe has a 4.10:1 axle ratio as opposed to a 3.73:1 ratio?
The tow package generally refers to an option package that includes a transmission and engine oil cooler. The only way to know the axle ratio is to look at the RPO codes sticker in the glovebox. GT4 is the 3.73, and GT5 is the 4.10.

If you don't mind the extra length, about 18 inches, the Suburban is better-suited for towing.

To add on to what SWHouston said, payload is the biggest concern when towing with an SUV. The "trailer rating," or how heavy of a trailer you can pull, is meaningless, because you'll exceed other weight ratings before you get anywhere near a max trailer weight rating.

How many people will usually be in the Tahoe? How much gear? Large dogs?

The half-ton and 3/4-ton monikers are kind of meaningless nowadays. A typical half-ton Tahoe or Suburban has a payload rating around 1500 lbs. A 3/4-ton Suburban can handle a payload around 2000 lbs. Look for this sticker on the driver's door jam. This is the one on my 3/4-ton Suburban:
Name:  20131030_102958_zps1e553ae0.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  78.5 KB

Additionally, you'll see a sticker on the receiver of any GMT900 Tahoe or Suburban ('07-'14):

Regardless of the "trailer rating" of the vehicle, if you don't have weight distribution, you shouldn't exceed a 5,000-lb trailer or 600 lbs of tongue weight. And you will see this sticker on EVERY '07+ Tahoe and Suburban you look at.

So, lots of things to consider. Do the best to get a good estimate of the weight of your jeep and trailer. Figure 12% tongue weight, add in the weight of people, pets, gear and your trailer hitch, and that's the amount of payload you require. That's the number that should guide your tow vehicle purchase.

If you'll be towing short distances, you can be pretty close to the max ratings. If you'll be racking up some serious towing miles, you probably want to be around 75-80% of your ratings. Trust me on this. My old half-ton Burb is on rear end number four. It broke several times while towing long distances.

Last edited by intheburbs; December 17th, 2015 at 9:38 AM.
Old December 18th, 2015, 3:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Tahoes are great vehicles.
You can find both 1/2 and 3/4 ton versions, thru 2014.
I was not aware that Tahoe's came in 3/4 ton. Are you sure about this?
Old December 18th, 2015, 3:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by JCUMV
I was not aware that Tahoe's came in 3/4 ton. Are you sure about this?
No such thing as a 3/4-ton Tahoe.
Old December 18th, 2015, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
The tow package generally refers to an option package that includes a transmission and engine oil cooler. The only way to know the axle ratio is to look at the RPO codes sticker in the glovebox. GT4 is the 3.73, and GT5 is the 4.10.
Gotcha. Good to know. I won't have to bring VIN numbers to the Chevy dealer and ask them for build sheets, then.

Originally Posted by intheburbs
If you don't mind the extra length, about 18 inches, the Suburban is better-suited for towing.
I was considering a Suburban, but I think that may be a little too large for my needs right now. I don't really have a reason for that kind of room. Can you explain why it's better suited?

I appreciate all the information, guys. It's really helping me out.
Old December 18th, 2015, 6:06 PM
CF Pro Member

I was considering a Suburban, but I think that may be a little too large for my needs right now. I don't really have a reason for that kind of room. Can you explain why it's better suited?
The Suburban (half-ton) is only available with the 5.3 engine (some Tahoes, maybe the RWD models?, have a 4.8), and is more likely to have the 3.73 rear. It's also more likely to have the towing package and additional coolers (trans and engine oil). Plus, the longer wheelbase will make for a more stable/comfortable towing experience.

Of course, it goes without saying, that the 3/4-ton Suburban exists only for towing - beefier everything - frame, axles, transmission, engine, brakes, suspension, etc.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I don't even think a 4.10 is available in 2007+ Tahoes and Suburbans. 3.73 (Code GT4) and 3.42 (code GU6) are most likely what you'll find. You really don't want to be towing a heavy trailer with the 3.42.
Old December 20th, 2015, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Another in what's likely to be a long list of questions in this thread: am I reading correctly that a 4x4 version of the Tahoe/Suburban actually has less towing capacity than a 2WD?
Old December 20th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 4x4 version of the Tahoe/Suburban actually has less towing capacity than a 2WD?
That's correct. The additional weight added to the venicle via the front differential is majorilly the reason.

Also...
intheburbs, you may be correct in your comment.
I thought there were 3/4 ton Hoes at one time.
I know that recently, 3/4 Burbs are not being made any more, or, one may have to do a special order for one, which may have been the issue with Hoes.
Old December 20th, 2015, 6:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Another in what's likely to be a long list of questions in this thread: am I reading correctly that a 4x4 version of the Tahoe/Suburban actually has less towing capacity than a 2WD?
It's a difference of roughly 200 lbs. Pretty much negligible. If that 200 lbs makes a difference, you're looking at the wrong truck.