Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

TPMS sensor matching on new rims and tires

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2019, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS sensor matching on new rims and tires

I have a question related to installing new tires and rims on my 2011 Suburban LTZ.. These new wheels will be have 17 inch rims for offroad and winter use, and will have all new TPMS sensors. I will also be keeping the factory 20 inch wheels for summer use, and they will keep the original TPMS sensors.

The question: If appropriate TPMS sensors are purchased (315 mhz OEM style), does one only need to do the normal relearn process (TPMS Sensor Matching per the manual) or does something extensive need to be done in the Suburban's computer?

I have a TPMS relearn tool and experience relearning tire position after a wheel rotation. I just don't want to get into a whole mess of needing to register new sensors in the vehicle's computer. Based upon what I have read, it seems like the Suburban's relearn process will recognize any appropriate TPMS sensor, but I cannot fine a crystal clear answer. So here I am double checking. Thanks.
Old October 10th, 2019, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

performing the normal relearn procedure is all that is needed.
Old November 16th, 2019, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Auto learning in 07 sub

I just replaced an old TPMS sensor in my 07 Suburban.
From the "Resetting the TPMS Identification Codes" section of the owner manual: "Any time you rotate your vehicle’s tires or replace one or more of the TPMS sensors, the identification codes will need to be matched to the new tire/wheel position."
That was my clue that the system will learn new TPMS sensors automatically.
Indeed, relearning the sensors was a breeze. Breaking the tire seal to get to the sensor and later inflating the tire took a bit more effort. Overall the job took about 40 minutes.