Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Trailer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2010, 7:30 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trailer Wiring

So, I thought the right turn on my trailer was out... it wasn't... it was the truck. Ugh, a brand new (1 yr old now) tahoe... with a trailer wiring problem, just what I need...

Turns out, it was Fuse #1 under the hood... these things have fuses for the trailer wiring!

Lets see how long that lasts since its a BOAT trailer... but anyway.

I went under the hood to find the power line for the brake controller, and 1 of the 2 wires was already hooked up, so I hooked up the other red one, running it under that nifty pop out module w/the grey handles so you can't see the wiring.

However, the 'left' one (facing the rear of the truck) was already hooked to the 'left' post. and the 'right' wire fit on the 'right' post. from other posts and videos they say to cross them, but im not sure why, and they fit this way. (and one was hooked up factory for me). I have the integrated brake controller.

Did I not have to hook up the 2nd one? on the posts one is 12v at 30A fuse, the other is 12v at a 40A fuse.

Should I have power on the 7 pin at the back on the 'aux' pin and ground?

thanks.

So, do I unhook that 2nd one since I have the factory brake controller or what?

Start on Page 7
http://technology-info.com/Auto/gmt9...er_install.pdf
Old April 5th, 2010, 7:40 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

the smaller lug is for the 12 out to the 7pin connector to provide 12 to a trailer battery.
I used the other terminal the larger one for a second battery setup in the extra tray. when the battery for the trailer is on the trailer it charges via the 7 pin harness, when Im not using the trailer I keep the battery under the hood and charged with the other connection.
Old April 5th, 2010, 8:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

are you referring to the blue and red wires?
Old April 5th, 2010, 8:45 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well

according to page 9, the wire nearest the tire is the brake controller power wire. since this wasn't hooked up factory in mine, I think I will disconnect it.

The wire furthest from the tire is the trailer wire battery, which WAS connected FACTORY with mine (I have the brake contoller option).

I think connecting that other one just now has 12v under my dash somewhere, which I don't need, so I shall disconnect it. Both fuses were in place factory w/mine as well...
Old April 5th, 2010, 8:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

scroll thru this link, you will find the color coding and placement of all the wires on the plug at rear of truck, and what the wires are for/from.