Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

trans issues

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2014, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans issues

I been having a trans issue several times while driving down the road it seems like i comes out of gear, I think that it has happened when it should be shifting from 4 to 3 feels like it is just free wheeling when you slow down or let off gas it reengages and seems fine also if I push the towing switch it seems to do nothing no light and no driving difference
Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default info

year?
make?
model?
engine?
color?

favorite steak?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 7:26 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi mutineer,

So sorry to hear this has been occurring with your vehicle! Please let us know at any time if you would like further technical advice. We would be happy to get you in contact with your local dealership. Feel free to send us a private message at any time.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by mutineer
I been having a trans issue several times while driving down the road it seems like i comes out of gear, I think that it has happened when it should be shifting from 4 to 3 feels like it is just free wheeling when you slow down or let off gas it reengages and seems fine also if I push the towing switch it seems to do nothing no light and no driving difference
Old June 7th, 2014, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

sorry 2005 Tahoe 4l60e trans
Old June 9th, 2014, 8:32 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fluid

I would start with checking the fluid level of the transmission.

I'd also check fuses for anything that says transmission.

Does it feel like it comes out of gear or maybe that the Torque Converter unlocks?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 09 Silverado WT 4X4 with a 4L60E. When starting out in drive and letting up on gas and reaccelerating it seems to be coasting until the engine catches up with the truck. And it sometimes clunks. The clunk may be the transfer case. Does it in second gear also. You can see it on the tachometer. This truck has 65.000 miles on it and I serviced the tranny. Both fluid and filter only a few miles ago. And yes it has the correct fluid in it. I just found out the "Tow Haul" doesn't work either. Possibly connected problems. Thanks Arnie

Last edited by ToTo; August 3rd, 2014 at 1:31 PM.
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

I spent the morning at my local Chevy dealer. They ran tests, drove it, and drove another one just like it. Bottom line and short story...that's the way GM built. Anything to keep it from down shifting. It's all about mileage and it has rendered a useful feature worthless. It was very functional on my 99. Have a good one......Toto