Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Transfer case fluid

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case fluid

This weekend I plan to change the fluid in the case. I don't know which tranfer case I have. My burb is a 02 1500 5.3L. It has 4wd auto,2hi,4hi,4low buttons.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by gmlover
This weekend I plan to change the fluid in the case. I don't know which tranfer case I have. My burb is a 02 1500 5.3L. It has 4wd auto,2hi,4hi,4low buttons.
well if you get under your burb and on the drivers side there should be a tag on the case which will identify your case.. hope this helps ...let me know???
Attached Thumbnails Transfer case fluid-hpim2284.jpg   Transfer case fluid-hpim2285.jpg  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by myotherchevyisablazer
well if you get under your burb and on the drivers side there should be a tag on the case which will identify your case.. hope this helps ...let me know???
What exactly are you doing when you say dont do this on the trail.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vinniety
What exactly are you doing when you say dont do this on the trail.

well the pic is of a band aid(didn't work)after beating the crap out of a stock 10 bolt axle....open up the cover and have a handfull of parts come flying out.....you know ive heard if you cant fix it duct it......red

did you figure out which case you have?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 1:43 PM
CF Active Member

Default Ya just what the hell are you doing you crazy mnt. goat

Ya just what the hell exactly are you doing Red !you crazy mtn. goat !!Hmmmm i think its called getting your *** off the mountian mcyver style and doing it with what ya got! beats trying to weld it up with battery cables Huh !!! Must be the good duct tape and not the dollar store crap
like Red said there is a alumn. round tag on the rear of your transfer case with the letters and numbers like NP246 also in your glove box there is the options codes or rpo codes that will tell you everything on the truck pretty much you more than likely have the NP246 which the manufactuer suggests you use thier blue auto trac 11 oil! thats their gig not mine some use dex 111 , others like me who dont listen or care and have my own opinions on oils and viscosity ,heat and lube breakdown i use mobil one synthetic manual transmission oil 70w90 with the nv6 263 and am as happy as a two pecke... rabbit in a hutch full a hot hares with the 7 qt.s i picked up to to do front rear and trans. case on sale cost was damn near the same. like i said manuf. says use there stuff (blue autotrac 11) i think around 3 qrts diffs call for sae 80w90 with addition of gl-5 additive so its on you to find what suits you the best and do like Red said look at the tag to be sure !! heck the trans i.d. plate is right near it too.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:12 PM
CF Senior Member

i didnt want to stick my foot in my mouth(as usual)but chuck is right it's probably the 246....
Old September 23rd, 2009, 4:01 PM
CF Active Member

Default not hardly bro

havent seen ya put your foot there yet lil brother no reason to think you would start now ! got something on my mind will pass it on via private message later