Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Transforming 02 LT to 03-06 Z71. Pictures inside.

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2008, 1:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Long List of Customization Ideas, need answers.

Sounds like quite the project for the 2002.

- Wood trim: IMO aftermarket dash kits do not look good. Try to find Escalade interior pieces.
- Z71 look. Shouldn't be that difficult if you can find a donor vehicle (salvage - not sure what your budget is). I think it would be better to purchase aftermarket bumpers (like ARB) and have a more rugged look. You can find the badges online.
- Dash: Again, maybe easier to obtain an Escalade dash or just get aftermarket gauge faces. As far as interior, I would rather spend the money of a lift and tires.
- Radio: Get an aftermarket Nav/CD. I think they look better.

In any case, post some pics of all the vehicles together so we can compare the before and after.
Old September 17th, 2008, 3:02 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Let us know what brand HIDs you install.

Here's a site that has a special but know nothing about them:

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=10776
Old September 17th, 2008, 4:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Zed 71, thanks for the reply. We are currently looking for a salvaged Escalade but can't find anything. My dad is for some reason against lifting my Tahoe. But, it does have new Michelin tires. The Z71 look is about to start taking place, we ordered the decals and my dad's going to get this liquid that supposedly removes the chrome off the bumpers and grille [if not we'll look for a salvage Tahoe Z71 or order new bumpers/grille]. As for the wood, it's possible that we might buy my neighbor's [and good friends] 2000 Denali, which may not have OEM parts [it was salvaged then rebuilt by someone inexperienced, who then sold it to my neighbors]. Also, thanks for the picture idea, I'll go ahead and attach that to a following post.

73shark, thanks for the link. I will definitely shop around and look for some HIDs that get good reviews and have a reasonable price, as well as post my own reviews of the HID's I purchase. The Tahoe in the thread you linked is an exact copy of mine [unless it's LTZ], still yet it seems like they look about the same as my Tahoe's current headlights. Guess we will just have to see!

[Since the 2002 will be getting the most work and most dramatic changes, I will post the before pictures in this next post.]

Old September 17th, 2008, 4:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Default 2002 Tahoe LT, BEFORE.

I don't have interior pics at the moment, will upload some later.

Current features:
2002 year model
Summit white
LT "Autoride" decals
Heated seats
3rd row
Tan interior.

Plans:
Z71 look
HID's
Wood accents

Name:  0911081657-00.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  102.4 KB
Old September 17th, 2008, 7:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2002 Tahoe LT, BEFORE.

More pics!

Name:  DSC08839.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  DSC08842.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  DSC08844.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  53.1 KB

So now you guys kind have a before part to my project. I'll post "during" pictures, and when it's all finished I can guarantee there will be "after" photos!
Old September 17th, 2008, 8:04 PM
Administrator

If you just want to paint the grill crossbar and bumper, you don't need to strip the chrome. Just scuff and use an adhesion promoter, then paint.
Old September 17th, 2008, 8:13 PM
CF Junior Member

I think that's what my dad suggested. He works on cars all the time as a hobby [retired, but he used to own an autobody repair shop chain].
I will ask and see if he's got adhesion promoter, although it sounds familiar, like I've seen it in one of his storage rooms at his shop outside.
But thank you, now I know what to ask for! This project has me very excited.

Edit: Just asked, we do have adhesion promoter! We'll start on the grille later this week then move on to the bumpers. On the 2003-2006 styles, the back bumpers are body-colored, right?
Old September 17th, 2008, 8:35 PM
Administrator

I believe the rears are as well but wouldn't hurt to check.

I had considered doing the front on my wife's '04 Tahoe but other things took priority. Anxiousto see how yours turns out.
Old September 17th, 2008, 9:04 PM
CF Junior Member

I thought they were. I just checked an eBay auction on a 2004 Z71 [they always have every angle], and the rear bumper is painted as well.

I noticed that the Z71's also have a grey piece located on the bottom of the car behind the wheelbase that I'm interested in finding. It looks like it's part of the Z71 running board kits, but it's not attached to them, it just matches them. Any idea on where to find these online?

More questions, I'm getting more as I go along. I like the OnStar on the mirror, because my XM radio kit sits on the piece above where OnStar controls are located, so they're covered up. Will the rearview mirror with OnStar work, since my current one is already wired [temp/comp]? Also looking to find one of those door panels from the Escalades that appear to be "stitched", for both Tahoes.
Old September 18th, 2008, 1:38 PM
Administrator

The gray piece is the rocker panel trim and is Z71 specific. Probably have to get at the dealer or salvage yard. Maybe your Dad could get a discount at a dealer.

Don't know about the Onstar mirror. Probably can be done but would take some wiring unless the harness is already there.

Quick Reply: Transforming 02 LT to 03-06 Z71. Pictures inside.