Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

transmision oil swap

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2009, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmision oil swap

hi guys i just picked up an 07 suburban great truck love the gadgets lolol. the truck is at almonst 25k and id like to swap out the tranny fluid and replace it with either amsoil or mobil full synthetic. the atf 6 thats in there how good is it ? and how much of a pain to swap it out would it be ? could i just drop the oil pan ? or do i need to get a lot more inot this ?
Old September 9th, 2009, 9:39 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default maint

I love doing maintence as much as anyone, but check the manual, I don't think you need to change it till 75 or 100,000 miles...
Old September 9th, 2009, 6:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by typhoon4x4
hi guys i just picked up an 07 suburban great truck love the gadgets lolol. the truck is at almonst 25k and id like to swap out the tranny fluid and replace it with either amsoil or mobil full synthetic. the atf 6 thats in there how good is it ? and how much of a pain to swap it out would it be ? could i just drop the oil pan ? or do i need to get a lot more inot this ?

like sabertooth explains, it's not really needed until 75 or so....but i did change mine out @ 40,000 and went with amsoil......love it...so unscrew the bolts let drain from corner of pan,replace internal filter while your in there,bolt back up to torque specs and fill with your favorite oil.i have not personally tried mobil but heard from friends it;s a great product....now go get some amsoil.....
Old September 9th, 2009, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

I believe the dex-6 is synthetic. If you switch to something else you need to make sure it is compatible. If you only drop the pan you are not eve changing half the fluid. The only way to do a 100% change over is to do a flush the ties into the cooler lines. At work we use the BG trans flush machine which takes 16 quarts to do the flush and change all the fluid.
Old September 9th, 2009, 8:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
I believe the dex-6 is synthetic. If you switch to something else you need to make sure it is compatible. If you only drop the pan you are not eve changing half the fluid. The only way to do a 100% change over is to do a flush the ties into the cooler lines. At work we use the BG trans flush machine which takes 16 quarts to do the flush and change all the fluid.

md so am i hurting my tranny any by not flushing it out when i do my changes?

didn't mean to thread jack
Old September 9th, 2009, 9:35 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

No you are not hurting anything. You are helping some just no where near as much as if a 100% change is done. Dropping the pan and changing the filter has become a thing of the past. The only time we do that is if the pan is leaking. A good trans flush machine with a good cleaner will clean the filter.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

how can you find out which flly synthetic oils are compatible wih dexron 6 ? how much does a full flush run about ? what places can be ttrusted to do it ?
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

oh thanks for your replys so far. any idea on finding out what dexron 6 is synthetic?
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
CF Senior Member

oh thanks for your replys so far. any idea on finding out what dexron 6 is synthetic?

The 6 is a synthetic blend and suppose to be REALLY good stuff,but that's just an opinion iv'e not personally run it but friends have....the like it...your tranny wont suffer from amsoil/mobil
Old September 10th, 2009, 4:44 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

how can you find out which flly synthetic oils are compatible wih dexron 6 ? how much does a full flush run about ? what places can be ttrusted to do it ?
A full flush with 17 quarts of dex 6 and the flush chemical is going to be around 275-300. Most of that being the fluid (very expensive) our labor for the trans flush is only 58.00. To find a shop that has the good flush machine go to www.bgfindashop.com

Quick Reply: transmision oil swap