Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Transmission shifting hard

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2006, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission shifting hard

ORIGINAL: NCHEVYHEVN

Well from what I have read the thing about transmissions that have high milages and have never been changed and then you change it and transmissions starts to mess up is like this. Since the old transmission fluid has been in there so long then residue or crud has built up on the parts and changing it with fresh fluid and it having fresh detergents gets rid of this residue which could have prevented both internal and external leaks.

Also fresh fluids changes pressures and friction properties . Worn and well broken in clutches and seals sometimes don't like these changes. I havn't witnesed this personally by doing it but it did happen to a friend of mine and I just did a quick google search and came up with the info. in this post.

It's kinda like the high milage car/truck that has never changed the fuel filter and then right after the filter is changed the fuel pump dies.
----------------------------------- -----------

Hi. This is my first post. Just joined today because I am doing research on a 2001 Cavalier that I am about to buy for a great price.

I was also searching the forums for my tahoe problem , and read the post from people opposing you on the trans fluid issues.

That is why I am writing this.

You are absolutely right! I have a 2000 tahoe limited bought with 22,000 miles on it, (previous trans fluid changes unknown at the time), that has the exact problem you describe on trans fluid change/flush. Truck was fiance's daily driver, with no trans fluid change until 98,000 miles (doesn't Gm say not needed until 100k?).

She made the mistake of taking it to a Meineke Car Car Center while i was recouping from surgery. Meinke advised her to forget about a trans fluid and filter change- instead they did a trans fluid flush (no filter change!)!!

Guess what? The truck has serious problems now. Major slipping in and out of 4th gear mostly, and some in 3rd. Trans overheating, so I stopped driving it. Bought a used 89' Camry with 198K miles-no A/C, but runs like a champ--rides like a broken harley on a bad piece of road. Great gas mileage compared to tahoe, but the tahoe rides Sweet!

I did research (lot's and lot's) on the web. Discovered issue about "Trans problems after flushing high mileage transmissions with poor history of fluid changes". Also discovered problem is probably the Torque converter lock-up (TCC) not working in 4th gear like it is suppose to because it is so messed up now from all the crud that the flush loosened up. Possibly worn/stuck valve bodies in trans too.

Had i not been so out of it from all the post-op pain killers, i would have been thinking better. I am a diesel mechanic by trade, and know very well about regular preventative maintenance to avoid problems like this. Like i said, it was the ex-finace's daily driver and she was such a Pain! She thought she knew everything about cars cuz' her dad worked for firestone - yeah right.... So that critical trans maintenance always got put off - glad she is gone now.

Anyway, i know enough not to keep driving it with this problem. It was causing the tranny to overheat.

So, until i save up some money, the truck just sits there, hopefully the trans will be salvagable instead of a full trans replacement.

I have read alot about others with the same trans problem and one person (mechanic) discovered it was just a bad fuel filter after doing alot of high-tech diagnosing even with trans pressure test gauges hooked-up while driving.

So, to anyone who reads this, the morale of this story is:

1. Do all of your preventative maintenance on schedule.

2. Always replace the trans filter when replacing the trans fluid. (duh! to meineke!)

3. People that post on these forums and say they "have never heard of" this/that problem have probably never had it happen to them, This does not mean this/that problem is not true/doesn't exist.

4. If you can afford it, have the GM dealer do your maintenance (right tools, TSB's, experience) or a trusted mechanic. Avoid car care centers unless it for for basic things.

In my case, since i am a huge procrastinator, I will not try any quick fixes (like additives) until i have enough cash to fix it right. Although, i will try the fuel filter changes esp. since i have access to the correct flare-nut wrenchs for the fuel lines.

Since gas prices are so high, as soon as the Tahoe is fixed, I am going to sell it. Other than the trans fluid the truck was totally pampered by me. Driven gently, and has never been in for other problems or repairs. I am probably the 2nd owner (Gm dealer had it on the lot for only a few days) and I believe one of their employees traded it in for something newer. This Limited had a MSRP new sticker price of over $38K.

Every 3k miles, I used Mobil 1 oil andfram large capacity oil filters. K&N air filter was serviced when needed (installed by first owner). Every 30k miles, new distributor cap and rotor, plus new spark plugs (all from GM dealer). Also has new brake rotors and expensive brake pads, (ceramic, i believe), new brake shoes on rear. Has double doors in back. Truck has every option available that even some other 2000 Limited's don't have. Everything but the trans works great on this truck. Most all miles are freeway miles. If you know about the limited Tahoes, they have police package equipment and no rev limiter. Speedometer reads up to 120.

Have great day.

patrick
Old July 26th, 2006, 9:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kcb37

The pump would die anyway from being overworked. And if it will do that why don't you start to advise people to change it when they should so they don't get any build up rather then tell them not to change it at all?
Well yea I should have said that. Do all your maintanence when it's needed. I wasn't saying not to ever do it but if you know it hasn't been done and it's up there in the miles then I would just leave it.

And I'm not sure what the owner's manual says on when to change it but at most dealerships they recomend a trans. flush ever 30k.
Old July 27th, 2006, 9:32 PM
CF Senior Member

2001CAV
I agree with you and anytime my dad takes a car to get worked on, especially something like tranny fluid I tell him to tell whoever does the work that he wants to see the old filter. Their are places that say they will change this stuff but suck it out the dipstick tube and just refill it. New fluid does nothing without a clean filter.
Old July 28th, 2006, 2:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kcb37

2001CAV
I agree with you and anytime my dad takes a car to get worked on, especially something like tranny fluid I tell him to tell whoever does the work that he wants to see the old filter. Their are places that say they will change this stuff but suck it out the dipstick tube and just refill it. New fluid does nothing without a clean filter.
I've worked at 2 dealerships and I'm sad to say but they don't change the filters. They should on all of them but I don't know why they don't. They just hook the machine up to the trans cooler lines and let the machine do the work and then send it out the door.
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

I have 94 that was shifting hard into first and second then would clear up. I had to change my egr valve. Its a little black contraption that sits on the side of the injectors that tell how much gas to send to the unit to make the tranny shift. I replaced it for around $15 and it did the job. I also keep my tranny fluid and filter changed pretty often. Hope this helps ya.
Old September 24th, 2006, 2:34 PM
CF Active Member

The trans fluid change will not hurt the trans as long as the filter is changed and the entire trans and converter is flushed. Most problems like this occur when the trans gets overheated ( Towing or carrying alot of weight ). Have a trans cooler installed if there isn't one there now. Critical to flush the ENTIRE SYSTEM. The problem is likely due to a sticking ball in the valve body.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:50 AM
CF Beginner

My 2000 Sierra is doing the same thing, shifting hard, I was thinking it was my transmission, because it leaks every once in awhile, really strange, so the weird thing is its only on a bad day that my truck will leak fluid or it'll shift hard, Any suggestions if im having the same problems as the rest of you or something completely different, Please and Thank you
Old July 19th, 2010, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by daanders
I have a '99 Suburban with 122,000 that just started shifting hard yesterday. Truck runs fine. Tranny doesn't slip, just shifts really hard going into second and still harder than normal going into third. Any ideas before I go to the transmission place for answers?

Thanks,
David
I'm having a similar problem with my 99 siera. It only seems to shift hard when its hot after driving 40 miles to work. 20 miles on the way home. If I shut it off for a few seconds it shifts fine for a while. I have tryed putting it in neutral while driving and shutting the engine off. I wait a few seconds till I see the speedometer drop and then restart. Then it shifts fine for while longer. It has to be something electrical. I have noticed the cruise control does not work for a few miles after this. What electrical components control the transmission and info on them? Thanks
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default 98 blazer

I have a 98 blazer and just had a gasket filter change due to leaking fluid and bad gasket. Now tho if I just get in my vehicle in the morning and go, it jumps a bit. But if I let it warm up first for say 5 - 10 mins then it runs fine. Also causes my engine light to come back on. Any reason why it works once the fluid is warmed up but not when its cold???
Old October 5th, 2011, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

awesome picture!

Quick Reply: Transmission shifting hard