Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Transmission tube fracture recall #12138/ How my Chevy nightmare continues

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2018, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission tube fracture recall #12138/ How my Chevy nightmare continues

I bought a certified 2010 Suburban. I bought a Chevy because I wanted to buy American I bought a certified so I know I was getting what I paid for. Boy was I wrong. The Chevy dealership didn't do half the things that was supposed to be certified. I'm no mechanic, but I have a good friend that is. right away he noticed the mismatched tires, the bent running board, the rust on the brake rotors, Etc. When I contacted Chevrolet, they were helpful but it started a two-month ordeal of back and forth with an angry dealership. Regional service manager got involved, Real mess. Well now I have a fractured dipstick tube. When I call Chevrolet guess what they told me? It was already fixed by this thief dealership under a bulletin/recall # 12138 and they couldn't give me any more information because it happened before I purchased it. My mechanic says it was not fixed properly. Instead of replacing the entire dipstick they cut it in half and replaced 1/2 to the other half. I would expect nothing less. I'm sure they billed Chevrolet for the whole job. Theres NO WAY a dipstick tube should fracture twice in a 6 yr period. I took it in to a NEW dealership while i was there for my engine powering down with my 4 young children in the car endangering there lives on a dark highway at night. That was a throttle position sensor recall. How many times can i be disgusted with my decision to buy a Chevrolet.
The new dealership indeed agreed that the transmission dipstick tube was repaired and is again fractured. They said i should take it back to the thiefs. I told them that bridge is burned. They then told me they could bill me for 7 hours of labor to replace it. A full day to replace a dipstick tube.? Does anyone have any suggestions before i start posting my dilemma on as many forums as possible?
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:32 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well... you didn't buy it new, so the Lemon Law won't apply.
My only suggestion is to DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT. Photos. dates. times. who. where. etc. Get everything in a binder, in order.
I had significant issues with my 09. Luckily most were worked out.

Are you still under warranty? If not, as with any used car, it's a calculated risk... savings on car vs. potential repair costs.

I wish you luck, and am not saying these can or can't be fixed, just saying KEEP records. For the most part GM builds a lot of cars, and the ones that' don't kill you (ignition switches), for the most part, work acceptably... well.. for a gas car anyway

I don't know your interest in becoming an auto mechanic, however pulling codes is fairly easy, and google will find out issues fast. I too think the CPO route should have resulted in a working car.
Old January 27th, 2019, 11:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this thread is old but was wondering if anyone has copy of this recall. Just changed fractured trans. dipstick tube on 2011 Tahoe and was wondering if it is covered. Thanks for the help.