Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Truck Dying Help

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2013, 5:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Dying Help

This started a little while ago. The issue starts when I'm going down the hwy at about 65-70 and about 2000 rpm. When I punch it the truck starts to bog down, like it's not getting enough fuel. Eventually it gets worse to the point the truck dies. Sometimes the truck will start but when I press on the gas it bogs down again and I cant even get to 3000 rpm, then it dies again. After it dies I've always been able to get it started again after 10 min or so of trying. Then the truck runs fine for a while. Today it did it 4 times and I barely got home. Could this be the fuel pump failing?

I have a custom tune from Black Bear Perf. and after loading their tune the truck ran great. I sent them a data file after loading their tune and Justin told me the truck was running lean at high RMP, so on his suggestion I replaced the fuel filter. If that didn't fix the issue, he believes the fuel pump isn;t putting out enough pressure at the higher rmps and that it might need to be replaced. Based on that information, I'm thinking the fuel pump is crapping out on me. When BBP told me the truck was running lean at high rmp, I could not tell there was anything wrong with the truck, meaning it drove great. There were no symptoms whatsoever, at any speed.

Here's my other question to you guys. A couple of months back my AutoCal was popping O2 sensor errors, so I replaced all 4 of them. Shortly after doing that the AutoCal was giving me a Catalytic Converted code, which I just cleared. I came across a couple of posts stating that a Catalytic Converter can be clogged and cause these bog down issues, is that correct? Can a Cat. Converter do that??

Small update,
As I barely made it home today, the truck was dying in my driveway. It would barely rev up over 3500 to 4000 rpm. Two hours later the truck started up just fine with no issues at all. I even revved up the engine with no issues at all. COuld the issue be temperature related. Maybe this is the reason the truck starts up again after 10 minutes of trying to start the truck on the side of the road.

Thanks
R
Old January 12th, 2013, 6:35 PM
CF Junior Member

I`m sure this has been discussed many times and a simple search would weed out the most difficult answers/solutions and bring You to "Did You install a new fuel filter ???
If so then I would check that filter to be sure it is not plugged,if the filter is OK I would then suspect the fuel pump. thats all.
Old January 12th, 2013, 7:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by MrMarty51
I`m sure this has been discussed many times and a simple search would weed out the most difficult answers/solutions and bring You to "Did You install a new fuel filter ???
If so then I would check that filter to be sure it is not plugged,if the filter is OK I would then suspect the fuel pump. thats all.
Oh trust me, I've been looking for info on this. I think I mentioned that I did replace the filter. If not my bad, I did.

Actually this post of very close to what is happening to me.
"I have a 98 blazer 4.3L 4dr 4WD. It'll will run O.K. when cold, but it seems after about 15 minutes or so of driving, especially at highway speeds, all of the sudden it looses power, and the more I give it more gas, the more it will fall flat on it's face and sputter, back fire, pop, and generally run horrible. If I let off the throttle, it idles perfect. If I just barely touch the gas it still runs good, but if I give it just a touch over just touching the gas peddle, it just wants to die. I can pull off the road, get out raise the hood and move the throttle lever by hand and anything past just touching it and it pops, sputters, and backfires. The more I try to give it more gas, the worse it goes.

And based on some of the replies, the Cat. seems to be the issue.

When I let the truck sit for a couple of hours it started right up and I was able to rev it up with no issues at all. Didn't drive it but it revved up just fine.
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by rickp
Oh trust me, I've been looking for info on this. I think I mentioned that I did replace the filter. If not my bad, I did.
I did see where You had replaced the filter,but,it seems that when I`m trying to figure out the whyfores of the why nots I have a way of doing things the toughest way possible and that is done by overthinking the situation instead of trying the "simple" things first.
Lets just say that,maby,possibly,the fuel tank had a slug of trash in it and within a short peried of running time that slug of trash went to the fuel filter,even though You had just replaced it does`nt mean that it is not plugged,if You check the filter{the simple thing} and it is "not" plugged then go to the next step,the little bit more tougher one of diagnosing the rest of the fuel system.
And so wit that,I`ll leave You at Your own demise.

Last edited by MrMarty51; January 13th, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old January 13th, 2013, 1:51 PM
CF Junior Member

After they truck dying in my driveway last night and not moving it, I just got in it and it drove great. I punched from a dead stop and rpms went up to almost 5500 before changing to 2nd gear and then to almost 4500 before changing to 3rd gear. Again the truck drive great. So whatever the issue i think temperature is involved.

Someone is telling me that its almost for sure the Fuel Pump. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

R.