Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Truck lights don't work after new trailer brake controller

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2019, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck lights don't work after new trailer brake controller

Hello, I have a 2004 Suburban 2500. The trailer brake controller stopped working after 12 years so I purchased a new Hopkins Towing Solutions Impulse Brake Controller along with the suggested Hopkins Brake Control Connector #47795 for Chevy, GMC, Cadillac and Hummer. I connected the red wire according to the instructions to slot D in the connector since my truck is in the model year range 2003 to 2007. I connected the connector into the slot in the panel under the dash where the previous controller had been connected. I connected the camper wiring cable to the connection at the rear of the suburban then started the engine. I pressed the controller slide button and it flashed numbers as it would if being activated. I pressed the brake pedal and nothing activated on the controller nor the camper. The suburban brakes lights did not light up either.
I turned on the suburban lights but non came on. I turned off the engine, disconnected the camper wiring cable then disconnected the controller connector from the panel under the dash.
None of the outside lights on the suburban work now, interior are fine but no headlights, taillights or brake lights. What should I check for the suburban lights?

Thanks
George

Last edited by wdw66; September 18th, 2019 at 6:22 PM.
Old September 18th, 2019, 6:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Always check the fuses first then the relays. The new controller may have blown a fuse.
Old September 18th, 2019, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks oldchevy. I looked at the fuse banks but since most labeled anything like headlamps and such were not the type of fuses I feel comfortable doing anything with for fear of breaking something else I didn't try to pull them. On a good note though I just went out and started the engine again and all of the lights work now. Something must have reset. Now I just have to figure out why the controller may have caused the issue in the first place.
Thanks again.
Old September 24th, 2019, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default brake controler connector

i had to have a Brake control added as the previous owner never added a control unit and my mechanic found out that on 2007 the connector harness from GM was discontinued. The reason was the GM OEM connector, or block, on the fire wall was to light weight and melted. you might check behind the connector block and look for any surprises.
My guy had to do a direct wire connectors to get the brake controller hooked up.