Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Truck Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2008, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Not Starting

I have a 2002 Suburban 1500 4x4 with 72k on it. Lately it has had a very intermittant problem of not starting. Generally it happens after a short drive and parking it for about a half hour. Get back in and it turns over strong but will not start. Go away 15 minutes and come back and it starts and runs fine! Truck has been trouble free for years...

Took to mechanic and they checked eveything and said it was in good shape. The could not find anything to replace/fix. Said to keep driving and see if it develops more of a problem. Has only done it about 3 times in the last month.

The one funny thing it does is sometimes the security light on the dash will come on now while I am driving randomly. Just started doing that.

Any ideas out there?

Few notes... Turck has Viper alarm. Truck has auto start. Everything else stock

thanks for any help in advance

jeff
Old March 2nd, 2008, 4:36 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Truck Not Starting

does the security light flash when it doesn't start?
will the vehicle remote start when it won't with the key?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Yes the light flashes.

I have no tryed the remote start, but will. Need new battery for keypad.

another thing happened just last night when i was locking the doors with the remote lock, the horn would not sound to tell me they were locked. Always used to do that?

thanks for the feedback.

jeff
Old March 3rd, 2008, 8:00 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

sounds like a problem in the security system. you could bring it in to have it looked at\replaced, or thereis way to permantly disable the system.....

To get the resistence value: Strip back the Black wire (Orange/Black on Trucks). Start the car with the key, then cut the yellow passlock wire. strip back the key side of the yellow wire and take a DMM and put one lead on the key side of the yellow wire and the other on the Orange/Black wire. Record the resistence, then reverse the two leads and record the resistence. Dial in the higher of the two resistences recorded into a trimpot (or buy a resistor within 5% of the measured value). Wire the resister to the car side of the yellow wire and the Orange/Black wire.
Old March 4th, 2008, 6:36 AM
CF Beginner

I tend to agree. Thanks for the information. I will try to find someone local and qualified to take a look at it. I do not want to go to a dealership for this as it will likely cost me a fortune.

Any ideas for good indy'sNorthshore of MA?

thanks for your help

jeff