Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

U-joint going out?

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2010, 8:28 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

He did not elaborate and I didn't pursue that question, however upon inspection of the joint when I was at home under the truck I did see a small pin hole (tiny tear maybe) in the rubber boot/seal that could have very possibly been an injection site now that you mention it....
Old September 5th, 2010, 8:43 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I went out and took another look and the u-joint itself is for the most part is clean of the grease and the "wet" area is at the end of the yoke coming out of the tranny... it has a small hole (weep hole?) and this appears to be the source of the oil/lube/fluid.

The red line points to it in the picture but doesn't show it from this angle...

I did check the seal again and it appears to have a small cut in it probably from road debris but it is minor and is not weeping or leaking in anyway and is only on one of the cap seal....
Attached Thumbnails U-joint going out?-img_6005.jpg  
Old September 5th, 2010, 9:43 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Not sure how long that'll last.

I'd keep an eye on them.
Old September 20th, 2010, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
So I was up under the truck and inspecting the undercarriage and noticed a lot of grease sling at the front u-joint...
The rear one is spotless, the joint feels pretty snug and the sling appears to be coming from the joint not the tail stock of the tranny...
There are no grease fittings on the joint, its got about 47k miles on it.

I'll keep and eye on it, it could also be because it takes a bit more heat transfered from the transmission causing the grease to expand and sling...

Opinions?
My 07 tahoe was making noise when it was in drive but not in neutral. I took it in
today and it was the u joint. Its under warranty if your under the 5yr 100000 mile
power train warranty. It was done in less than one hour. That turned out good!!!