Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Unbelieveable....not again! =)

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2017, 1:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Unbelieveable....not again! =)

Once again my Tahoe has given proof that it is becoming less and less reliable as every year passes.

I started a thread a couple years ago, about going on vacay about 3 hours away from home, my son and I went down first, then my wife and daughter were to arrive a day or two later. Long story short, my starter flaked out, stranded my wife and daughter. I had to interrupt my vacay, drive 4+ hours back up, to try and get the vehicle started.

Fast forward to 4/10/17 (monday); my wife and kids are driving down to visit my parents about 3 hours away, I still have to work and would join them a day or two later. While I'm at work I got a call from my wife, the Tahoe won't accelerate, (it had gone into limp mode), shes stuck on the side of 295 South in Virginia.

I have been having a CEL every so often and it last reared its head about 2 years ago, it was P2138. This recent instance was a P2135. I have suspected it was either the throttle position sensor going bad or it was the pedal position sensor going bad. (I had first hand experienced my Tahoe go into limp mode, and i was able to pull over and turn off the car and disconnect the accelerator pedal, and it seemed to resolve itself) So I immediately had her facetime me, and I tried to show her where the accelerator pedal connector was, and told her to turn off the engine, and fiddle around with the connector by pushing down it to make sure it was seated. She couldn't figure out how to disconnect it and I was having a hard time explaining how to disconnect, and I was freaking out b/c its just dangerous to be trying to do this type of troubleshooting on the side of a major interstate, lol. So luckily the engine started and she was able to drive away and resume the trip. Luckily a state trooper had stopped about 1/4 mile behind her maybe to alert other motorists to be cautious of this pulled over vehicle, but the trooper never approached my Tahoe. My family made it fine to their destination with no other hiccups.

So I decide to order a new throttle body and new accelerator pedal and replace them while we are on vacay at my parents' house. Ordered the parts on Amazon, very well priced, with free 2 day shipping. I was worried that the throttle relearn would take forever like it did last time I cleaned my old throttle body on this Tahoe. But luckily it did take some in city driving about 15 miles worth and it learned the new idle.

So I had installed the new parts last Thursday, then yesterday as my family and I were waiting in the car before we went into church, engine was on, transmission in park, A/C running, I see my fuel gauge just slowly swinging from 3/4 full to a little below 1/4 full, like it was slowly waving hello to me, lol. So now I'm like WTF, I just put in a new t-body and gas pedal, now this happens?! =)

I will try to upload the video when I get home. Is this a fuel level sensor issue? I know for sure there was def. 3/4 of a tank of fuel in it. Was idling just fine.

If this is a fuel level sensor issue, should I just go ahead and replace the fuel pump since the tank needs to be dropped anyway?

Man, just once thing after another with this Tahoe, ever since it turned about 6 years old, every single year something goes wrong with it. btw, its a 2007 Tahoe LTZ (bought in April of 2006), so its 11 years old, has ~225,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and input!

Last edited by Typerod; April 24th, 2017 at 3:48 PM. Reason: had wrong vehicle mileage orginially
Old April 16th, 2017, 3:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

there was a recall 2 years ago related to the p2135 in which chevy replaced the throttle position sensor....It is now serviceable separate from the throttle body. if you have your receipt contact a dealer to see if you can get reimbursement.
do a search for that dtc and you may be able to locate the document and see if it still applies.

sure sounds like a sending unit issue. if the fuel pump is original; replace it all. If its newer, you can get just the fuel level sender.
Old April 17th, 2017, 8:25 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
there was a recall 2 years ago related to the p2135 in which chevy replaced the throttle position sensor....It is now serviceable separate from the throttle body. if you have your receipt contact a dealer to see if you can get reimbursement.
do a search for that dtc and you may be able to locate the document and see if it still applies.

sure sounds like a sending unit issue. if the fuel pump is original; replace it all. If its newer, you can get just the fuel level sender.
Hi tech2, Thanks for your input! I ordered the parts myself and did the R&R myself as well. I did see that TPS kits online, but didn't want to deal with taking it all apart. I just wanted to slap on the new throttle body and accelerator pedal and call it a day. lol! I did see the document about a TPS s/w update of some sort, like a new/improved calibration file, that needed to be loaded onto the vehicle, but it was for 2008-20XX (can't remember the last year of the affected range of cars), and since I have a 2007, I figure it didn't apply to my Tahoe.

About the fuel gauge issue, I was thinking the same thing, to replace it all since its all original. Now, is the term "sending unit" interchangeable with "fuel level sensor"?

Thanks!

Last edited by Typerod; April 17th, 2017 at 8:27 AM.
Old April 17th, 2017, 8:32 AM
CF Senior Member

So I just finished reading about the TPS service bulletin at this link:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...33/#post241455

And it mentions in one of the paragraphs:
"If a vehicle is encountered with this condition, DO NOT replace the throttle body. Instead follow this procedure below. Model Year 2008-2010 vehicles MUST have the engine control module (ECM) reprogrammed with the latest software calibration as indicated in Step 35 of the procedure AFTER the installation of the throttle position (TP) sensor cover. Model Year 2011 vehicles DO NOT need to have the ECM reprogrammed."

What concerns me is that after the TP sensor cover is replaced, the ECM needs to be reprogrammed with the latest s/w calibration. So I wonder if I should try to get the dealer to reprogram my ECM with the latest TP sensor calibration, even though my Tahoe is a 2007?

I can replace my T-body all day long but if the calibration isn't the latest and greatest, then I'm still screwed.
Old April 17th, 2017, 9:09 AM
CF Senior Member

I was doing more searching and came across this site:

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

Looks like it can tell you what s/w updates are available for your GM vehicle based on your VIN.

I checked thru all the avail. sections for my VIN and none mention calibration updates for the TPS, so I feel a bit better now....I think, lol!
Old April 17th, 2017, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Typerod
About the fuel gauge issue, I was thinking the same thing, to replace it all since its all original. Now, is the term "sending unit" interchangeable with "fuel level sensor"?

Thanks!
yep
they probably will call it fuel pump module or assembly...not to be confused with a fuel pump control module which is a computer.
the assembly with include the fuel level sensor, pump, o-ring, filter and pump housing . You can buy just the fuel level sensor but if your luck is like mine....the fuel pump would fail 2 weeks later.

i would not worry about a pcm update. You fixed it and it running normal. Next time your at the dealer, inquire about reimbursement...who knows!
Old April 18th, 2017, 1:43 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
yep
they probably will call it fuel pump module or assembly...not to be confused with a fuel pump control module which is a computer.
the assembly with include the fuel level sensor, pump, o-ring, filter and pump housing . You can buy just the fuel level sensor but if your luck is like mine....the fuel pump would fail 2 weeks later.

i would not worry about a pcm update. You fixed it and it running normal. Next time your at the dealer, inquire about reimbursement...who knows!
Will do, Thank you!