Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 7th, 2015, 7:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Univeral Home Link help??

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:20 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Univeral Home Link help??

You bet, don't give up try these proceedures:

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)
Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the "cycling” procedure.

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light. If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the "learn” or "smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener's manual.

6. Press and release the "learn” or "smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the "press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

If these steps yield no results then contact:
JCI Homelink's help-line is 1-800-355-3515 or you can visit their website at www.homelink.com

Some openers require different steps, these guys will also walk you through it, also be sure to have your door opener make and model available.
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks again.I'll give it a try tomorrow during business hours in case of no luck. Seems exactly as I did before, following book.

I'll give it one more try then use the number.
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:33 PM
CF Addict

What brand is your opener?
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna try those directions, as they differ slightly from the manual (for the 3 LED version)...my garage doors are ProLift brand if I recall correctly...I'll check when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the help, I'll get them to work one way or another!
Old March 7th, 2007, 3:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, it still won't work! I have tried every which way to Sunday, still nothing. The only thing I haven't done is actually park the Tahoe directly underneath the garage door opener motor, as my Tahoe will not fit in the garage! The roof rack beams would need to be removed...I know how to slide them back and forth, but couldn't see in the dark if they could be removed easily?

I am calling Homelink today and get to the bottom of this...
Old March 7th, 2007, 3:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys Ive read about this issue with the new system... heres a couple of post that will definitely help you out...

"We work with a majority of garage door openers in the market place. Your garage door unit is a very specialized unit, but we can get Car2U to work with your vehicle by adding on a conversion unit to your opener located inside your garage.
For more information or to purchase a conversion module, please visit our website at http://www.learcar2u.com/conversionmodule/ or contact us at 866-572-2728 Monday thru Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm ET and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for contacting us, and please feel free to call or email us with further inquiries.

Lear Car2U Customer Service Center
www.learcar2u.com
ContactUs@learOrders.com
866-572-2728

"

"I recieved the Lear Car2U conversion model today. It took about 5 minutes to install. I followed the rolling code directions from theChevy manual to a tee (using the learning button on the conversion module instead of the opener), and it programmed the very first time. Total installation time....about 7 minutes. Total cost, including shipping...$35.

I wish I had know about the website (http://www.learcar2u.com) that shows compatible/non-compatible openers from the onset. It would have saved me several hours and bunch of frustration/grief. "

Thank you for your interest in the Universal Home Remote product. Additional help is available to assist you with any programming issues or questions.

If your product has 3 LED lights, please refer to www.learCar2U.com or call 1-866-57Car2U for additional support.

Sincerely,

The Lear Car2U Team "

"
Old March 7th, 2007, 9:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Yep, that is what I learned today. Called HomeLink first, and they said that the 3 LED design is NOT HomeLink's product...it is actually made by Lear. So, I called Lear and checked their site...my opener is not listed on there, and the lady I talked to didn't know of it either. She said I would probably need a Conversion Module to make it work properly. Module is basically $25. My issue now is that we have other vehicles that use HomeLink for our garage doors, so the Conversion Module would probably screw that up? Oh well, looks like I will just keep the garage door openers on my visors and skip the homelinkfeature...bummer.
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:06 PM
CF Active Member

You do have to park close to the opener I didit myself....at first it didn't work I was frustrated, but reading it over and over I finally got it to work. You have to use your existing remote as well so that the Homelink sends out the signal. The manual explains it well, just read it over and you may have to do it twice. Be patient!!!! it will work.

Good luck.
Old March 8th, 2007, 3:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Nah, I'm done...I've literally tried this probably 50+ times now...all sorts of different ways. Memorized the manual's instructions...I sat in the car with the Lear customer service on the line this morning...did everything again while she listened, still doesn't work. She said that I would need a Conversion Module for my garage door motor...

But I have a feeling that the Conversion module will then cause the other vehicles with the actual HomeLink systems to not work properly. Oh well, can't say I didn't try. And just in case anyone else is having problems, my opener is a Pro Lift model, with model # GTX730, and is a 390MHz frequency...
Old March 8th, 2007, 4:57 PM
CF Addict

Get the module.

Quick Reply: Univeral Home Link help??