Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Unplug fuel pump electrical connector?

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2020, 1:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Unplug fuel pump electrical connector?

2003 Tahoe 5.3 L Flex :

Struggling to unplug white plastic electrical connector at fuel pump.
Connector has a side orange tab . The orange tab has grooves, as if for finger friction to slide the side orange tab.

Tried to slide orange : Failed.
Then , tried to squeeze orange tab, followed by pull : Failed.
Then tried to lift orange tab outward : Part of it popped off/ snapped off.
I believe that I snapped off part of the orange tab.

You tubes showed several other styles of electrical fuel pump connectors, but not my vehicle's style.
How to proceed?

Fuel pump electrical connector was sprayed with brake cleaner to clean / loosen stuff.

Here is a piece of the orange side tab that I snapped off when I attempted several methods to disconnect the electrical fuel pump connector

The remaining orange side tab still on connector. It looks as if the orange tip should lift outward from its hooked position. Afraid to do more damage by guessing correct method to release this connector.

Old October 25th, 2020, 3:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

You have a lot of corrosion and that eats away at metal and the plastic and keeps the tab from releasing. Theoretically you should have pushed in at the bottom, where it broke off, and then that would have pushed the top clip away from the place it is seated against and allowed for the connector to be pulled off. Pry with a pick at the little tab and should work it's way loose as you pull. You can purchase the new connector for that and swap all the wires over to the new connector. You will need the right small pick like tool to release the wire clip from inside the old connector and then just push the wire clip into the new connector. Or you can reuse same connector and use a skinny long enough zip tie to route under the wires, to keep it low, and around the piece that the connector plugs in to and pull tight to hold in place.
Old October 25th, 2020, 4:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Spent last half hour trying to unplug the connector.
The orange tab is still functional and I already had used a pick to pull the hook outward.

Yet, ... could not pull the outer white box sleeve away from its guts.
I tried to insert a pick at the mouth of the white box sleeve and squirted WD40 .
Been letting it work through capillary action to lubricate the joint.
No success yet.
Rain tomorrow , so the WD40 will have plenty of time to penetrate the seized joint.
I am reluctant to manhandle the wiring harness with pliers as I may do damage to the 20 year old brittle plastic.
Thank you for confirming the correct unplug procedure.

Sprayed WD40 into the edges of the mouth of this connection: between the outer box sleeve and the inner guts to lubricate the sliding surfaces. Hope it will work.

Orange hook tab fully slides away from hooking/clipping zone. I believe that this is the only part that locks the white outer sleeve. Since this is out of the way, joint should easily separate: NOT.

Used blade to separate the hook from the catch lip. Orange slide tab is still functional to hook into the catch lip.
Old October 25th, 2020, 5:13 PM
CF Active Member

When you have the orange tab pulled out you have to push in at the bottom of the white tab that is just below the bottom of the orange tab. Then pull and it will unplug.
Old October 26th, 2020, 6:59 AM
CF Junior Member

When you wrote :
" push in at the bottom of the white tab that is just below the bottom of the orange tab" ,
is that the same idea as squeeze the long thin white arm (with my thumb ) that protrudes toward the rear of the white box?

If yes, then I imagine that the opposite end ( the mouth end of the box) , should enlarge .

Are there any other secret hooks / tabs / retainers in this white connector.
Hope not.
Will attempt your suggestion after rain stops( tomorrow).
Thank you for your guidance.

Here is video that shows at time one minute and 21 seconds my exact orange style connector.
I have not been able to disconnect the electrical connector while imitating his technique.
I speculate that my Tahoe parts are glued together with 20 years of fumes evaporating.
website video :

Last edited by stilllearning6; October 26th, 2020 at 7:06 AM. Reason: additional info
Old October 26th, 2020, 8:13 AM
CF Active Member

Yea, just as I thought to begin with. You push in on the bottom ridged area of the orange tab and that releases the top of the orange tab and also pushes in at the bottom of the white tab that is now exposed with your orange tab being broken. I agree that years of crud/corrosion have snaked in there and almost fused the connector and the port together.
Old October 26th, 2020, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

24 hours later :
Let WD40 penetrate .
Moved orange tab all the way from hook tab so nothing holds the white clip.
Squeezed the lower white arm and wiggled with all my might for several attempts.
Result : Failed. Connection feels as solid as a rock.

Sprayed heavily with PB Blaster and will let soak overnight.
Tried to get the PB Blaster to shoot up the inner sides of the white rectangular box that engulfs the pump connector side in hopes of lubricating inner walls to release.
Old October 26th, 2020, 9:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 599 Posts

don't spray brake parts cleaner on plastic or rubber. It will damage it.
Old October 27th, 2020, 11:03 AM
CF Active Member

If you are replacing the pump then that side of the plug in would be new. Get a new connector pigtail and be done with it.
Old October 27th, 2020, 11:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Resolved .
PB Blaster overnight did the trick .
Squeezed back end and poof : disconnected in 3 seconds. Nothing fancy, same technique.

Thanks to all for the continued vigilance and assisting me.

Quick Reply: Unplug fuel pump electrical connector?