Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Vararam Tri-power, what a piece of crap...

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam Tri-power, what a piece of crap...

Figured I would share this little review with you guys. Got in my VR tripower a bit ago. Checked the box out made sure all the parts were included and directions were there etc. Got everything out on a nice cool sunny day and got to work.

First things first, removing the old air box and intake is easy as pie, takes maybe 3-5 minutes. Then comes the devils air box contraption. First step, put the MAF in the new air box. No directions to remove the MAF rubber gasket/seal. And it makes sense it should be on there because the air box isn't really flexible enough to squeeze down around it with a hose clamp. After about 20 minutes of trying to muscle it in, I broke down and put it in without the rubber gasket/seal. Then comes putting on the air hoses that connect the air box/MAF to the throttle body. Easy as pie. Then comes sliding the air box/MAF/hose assembly down between the engine and the electronic fans. Hmm doesn't quite fit (15 minutes later). Let's cut part of the air hose to shorten it down. (10 minutes later) Hmm still doesn't fit. Lets cut it down some more. (10 minutes later) Success!!!! Kinda... Now it fits but the air box is touching the electronic fan and it is quite obvious upon inspection (I shoved the air box around a little) that it is going to knock against the fan making noise. So I am going to have to cut the hose a little more and do it again (already cut about an inch off the hose, another 1/2 to an inch should fix it). But lets wait on that a little bit. Next step is to fit the air hoses to the box that go to the air ducts. Wait a second... Air hoses are round.... air box inlets are rectangular... Suddenly I remember being a kid and trying to fit the square peg in the round hold... it didn't work. So after 20 minutes of trying to squeeze that hose onto place I gave up and called their tech support. Mostly to bitch lol. According to their tech guy these kits are not made to fit and will require alterations to work as it should. Well that was enough info for me. Emails are sent and the process to return it has begun...
Old June 3rd, 2012, 1:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Piece of advice when altering air inlet hose's ect. The maf is a pitot tube measuring the air flow. These are sized according to the I.D. If you alter the i.d. of the tube, you'll not get correct maf readings.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 2:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Never altered the inside diameter of any of the hoses.... Never said that I did....
Old June 3rd, 2012, 3:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by aris_unlimited
Never altered the inside diameter of any of the hoses.... Never said that I did....
I never said you did either. I was pointing out a technical issue.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 8:17 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Not sure what a VR tripower is but if you want to get more air into the intake, get a Procharger.
Old June 4th, 2012, 8:21 AM
CF Junior Member

VR tripower is a ram air system cost roughly $300

Procharger will cost a lot more, and from what I understand (I could be mistaken) the stock transmissions aren't up to the power boost of supercharging the motor.
Old June 4th, 2012, 8:29 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Unless you get a Blackbear or similar tune, I doubt the Vararam will do much. In fact the tune by itself will probably give a bigger boost for the same or less money. Check it out.

Not sure if they still do but they used to back up the powertrain warranty if they installed the blower.