Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Vehicle dies when parked on incline???

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2007, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle dies when parked on incline???

I am new to the whole Chevy Tahoe scene. For some reason when I am backed-in on my driveway which has a bit of a slope to it (nothing extreme), I notice that the LOW FUEL indicators come on when I have as much as a 1/4 tank and the vehicle will just die in 2-3 minutes if left idling in place. To restart the vehicle I have to roll out into the street onto level ground and then I can get it started again. Again, the driveway is not extremely steep; I would estimate it at a 15% grade approximately. Obviously the fuel pump seems to be in the rear of the tank but does this type of scenario sound normal to you? I have done extensive searching and cannot seem to find anyone else with a similar problem. I have had other vehicles (Ford Expedition, Mercedes, etc) all of which have had no problemsparked in the exact same manner. I thought perhaps someone could shed some light on this.
Old March 6th, 2007, 2:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Vehicle dies when parked on incline???

When i park forward on my driveway, my gas gauge shows that my tank has a lot less gas than i actually do. My car has never stalled out tho. And I'd imagine that the fuel pump would be in the front because when i'm backed in on my driveway, the gauge shows i have a lot more gas than i really do. My suggestion to stop your car from stalling would be to back into your driveway
Old March 6th, 2007, 2:06 AM
CF Beginner

Good point. However, I actually DO experience this problem when I AM backed into my driveway...?

I don't understand why your Tahoe would register more gas when you are back in. Now I am really confused.

Thanks for the response.
Old March 6th, 2007, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

Hmmm, no one else has experience this? It happened again last night after my original post.

FYI, I drive a 2007 Z71 w/ 2500 miles.

I’m happy so far, except for some rattling from the dash at low speeds and poor MPG average (13.5).

Old March 6th, 2007, 6:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your fuel pump is weak or your fuel filter is partially blocked, it might be that when the fuel level gets to a certain point, the pump is no longer able to push the fuel up and out with the needed pressure. Might be an indicator of things to come. Don't let the level get so low that the pump runs dry or it may ruin it.