Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Vibration at 65+mph

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2011, 4:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration at 65+mph

Wheel hubs are both new and just had the tires rotated and balanced. There was vibration at all speeds but now there is only a vibration once I hit 65 and faster. Any ideas?
Old August 17th, 2011, 6:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cyras21
Wheel hubs are both new and just had the tires rotated and balanced. There was vibration at all speeds but now there is only a vibration once I hit 65 and faster. Any ideas?
Balance. Have it checked
Old August 17th, 2011, 6:58 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Might be a tire w/ tread separation or sidewall bubbly.
Old August 17th, 2011, 8:43 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to have the tires balanced on a machine that can check the Roadforce
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to outrun the vibration, say 75 mph or better, if the vibe goes away it's balance, if it doesn't, it's a tire problem. Like shark said, it could be tread separation, bubble, or even a shifted belt, etc.
Old August 18th, 2011, 7:10 AM
CF Junior Member

thanks guys.

I know it continues past 80mph...don't really want to take it any faster with all of the speed traps here in VA.

I'll have the tires inspected and road force balanced.
Old August 18th, 2011, 3:37 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
Specific Conditions Can Affect the Vehicle in terms of Vibration
  • Flat Spots on tires - Tires which have sat and been cool for a time can develop flat spots.
  • Irregular wear on tire treads - Tires which have sat and been cool for a time will be stiffer and any irregular wear conditions will be more noticeable than they will be once the tires have warmed and softened.
  • Exhaust system growth - Exhaust systems may exhibit a ground-out condition when cool which goes away once the system hot. The opposite may be true that the exhaust system is fine when cool but a ground-out condition occurs once the system reaches operating temperatures. Exhaust systems can grow by 21/2-5 cm (1-2 in) when hot.
  • Engine driven accessory noises - These include drive belts, loose mounting brackets, pulleys, fluid levels, and fluid types. Concerns may occur only when the vehicle is hot or cold
  • Vehicle payload - The concern may only occur when the customer has a heavy payload or is towing a trailer.
  • Roadway selection - The selection of roadways used to perform the vibration duplication procedures is likely to be in the near vicinity of the dealership and may not provide a road surface that is close enough to the surface on which the customer usually drives the vehicle. The customer may only experience the vibration on a particular roadway. Perhaps the roadway is overly crowned or is very bumpy or rough.

These are some places to start regarding the vibration. I would recommend contacting the dealership for more assistance. You can contact me either here on the thread or via private message. Please feel free to keep me informed with any further developments regarding the fix. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of that + How old are you shockS?

Shocks only dampened road forces up to 60mph. Above that speed and worn shocks cannot dampen wheel hop. Especially on choppy pavement or badly designed roadways.
Old October 6th, 2011, 8:14 PM
CF Junior Member

tires are good...shocks are original and I have 150,000 miles on the beast. I think it's time for a new set. Should I replace all four? Any suggestions on brand?
Old October 7th, 2011, 8:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by cyras21
tires are good...shocks are original and I have 150,000 miles on the beast. I think it's time for a new set. Should I replace all four? Any suggestions on brand?
Yes, I think it well overdue to have your shocks replaced. I have 75k on my Tahoe and I am already looking at replacing the the shocks. They are now just a little bit mushy for my liking. I personally like somewhat of a firmer ride. There are many options out there for replacements. I would suggest doing a little bit of research on what is available to see what best suit your needs. I'm seriously considering Bilstein.

Just thought of something. How are all the bushings? The ball joints? Wore bushings in the suspension and steering systems, coupled with wore shocks will very likely make more noticeable the slightest of vibrations.

Quick Reply: Vibration at 65+mph