Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Vibration & drone problem

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2014, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vibration & drone problem

Hello, My ride is a 08 LT with the 5.3L 4x4. wit 120,000 miles on it. Now when I drive between 70 and 75 it drones and vibrates. I have had a mechanic check it out and he thinks it is in the drivetrain and not the wheels/tires & saying it will take some time to figure out exactly what the problem is. So, has anyone here know anything about this or have had the same problem with their vehicle. Thx.

Last edited by atceltic; November 6th, 2014 at 1:23 PM.
Old November 7th, 2014, 7:22 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when I read drone problem, I thought something out of terminator.

Well, anything that spins could be causing it.

Easiest thing might be to rotate the tires and see what impact that has.

when were the tires last replaced? did you throw a wheel weight?
Old November 10th, 2014, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires are brand new and have been checked out about 3 times 2 by firestone and 1 by my mechanic. My mechanic is going to place the truck on a lift and run it up to the speed it is vibrating and making a droning ( LOL I thought someone might say something about that word.) noise. thx for the reply.
Old November 24th, 2014, 11:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a very similar problem when I first got my truck. I think it was at a lower speed, but it was specific...between like 60-65 mph. It's old and the tires, while still having tread were (are) nearing the end of their usefulness. I took it to the dealer, told them to strip off all the old weights and re-balance the tires.

After that, the vibration went away.

Just recently however, it has developed a new vibration. This time the range is much more broad and the drone more pronounced at times. After inspecting it on the lift it appears the very rear u-joint on the rear driveshaft needs to be replaced. Front still looks good, but we are going to replace both once the shaft is out. It was very easy to spot, and you could probably climb under the truck without being on a lift and inspect it.