Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Vortec 5700 no start, no fuel, good spark

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2014, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec 5700 no start, no fuel, good spark

Hi, I've been having some trouble with my 98 Tahoe and wanted to see if I could get some help! The day after I bought it on craigslist, the Tahoe refused to start. It worked fine when I test drove it but the next day it would crank but not start. I found that the roller pin in the bottom of the distributor had sheered off so I replaced the pin, reinstalled the distributor, but it still will not start. I have good fuel pressure when the key is turned and while cranking, good spark, but the plugs are dry after cranking it for a few seconds. I tried starting with gas and carb cleaner down the intake but still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old July 16th, 2014, 7:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Fixed the fuel issue. Apparently the injectors will not fire when the battery is too low. After messing with the truck so much, I had to recharge the battery and now my plugs are coming out wet after turning over.

I can get her to start but she runs really rough. I used a timing light just to see where my timing was and it looks like the computer is advancing my timing about 18*. Is this normal?